Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes
12331040

2000 Kia sportage: flashing airbag light. after engine start

Customer Question

2000 Kia Sportage 2WD. I have a flashing airbag light. after engine start, it flashes one long, eight short and six short. I'm guessing this is a code "186" ??? I've pulled the steering wheel bag & checked connectors for loose, corroded or pushed back pins. Neatly made assembly, BTW. Same code after reassembly. Haven't looked into the pass. side.

What does the code mean, what will it take to fix it and can I reset it without going to a stealership??

Thanks,
Norm
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

What you are reading is just the module stating there is an issue. You will need a Pro-Scan unit {Kia} or a scanner that has the available software to read the codes properly.

Sorry. {see attached}

Scott.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You've told me nothing. Of course, the flashing light is an indication there's an issue.
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Yes, I thought I explained it clearly.

It is an issue with the SIR system. You are preforming unneeded work, due to the fact that you thought you had a code, when in fact you do not have the correct code.

Like I stated above. "You will need a Pro-Scan unit {Kia} or a scanner that has the available software to read the codes properly."