Rixster
Rixster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner Rix Automotive & Mobile Repair 27+ Years Exp. with all makes and models cars and Lt. Trucks
14064412

2006 Subaru Forester: odometer..speedometer..slow down..accelerator

Customer Question

Driving on the expressway this morning, the odometer and speedometer on my 2006 Subaru Forester suddenly stopped working (speedometer went to zero and odometer stopped moving). Also, 3 times the car would suddenly slow down on its own from 55 MPH to about 40 MPH. Each time, after I pressed the accelerator for a few seconds the car would go back up to speed. The cruise control was not being used. The car was outside overnight and temperature was about 7 degrees. Any idea what's causing these problems?
Category: Car
Expert:  Rixster replied 7 years ago.

Hello I'm Rixster...

Is there a "Check Engine light" on?

Have you scanned the Powertrain Control Module for Diagnostic trouble codes?

If yes what are they?

This sounds like the vehicle speed sensor has failed but will not know unless there is a code set for it. Have this checked and get back to me and I can advise on the course of action to take.

-Rixster

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The check engine light did not come on. I don't know how to scan the Powertrain Control module for diagnostic trouble codes and there's nothing in my owner's manual about how to do this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Rixster replied 7 years ago.
This can be done at most any reputable Auto Parts house. They will usually do this for free.
Once you get an idea of what possible codes are there then we can go from there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I would like to accept your responses for $15 ($13 deposit + $2 additional) and close this session, but I don't see an ACCEPT button on my screen to do this.
Expert:  Rixster replied 7 years ago.
I can fix that!!!
Thank you!