Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1
Experience:  30 years GM certified, Ford certified
11302663

1998 Continential.My tranny drives..10 miles..torque converter clucht

I have a 1998 Continential.My tranny drives right while im in town and go 10 miles back and forth to work.If i go on a trip,every 25 miles the tranmission warnig comes on.The code said torque converter clucht not engaging.is it electical,or is the converter bad
Category: Car
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 years ago.

greetings,

When driving around town your speed may be under the 45-55mph for lock up request. On the highway it is requesting lock up and either the solenoid/harness or converter is not working in most cases. We would have to test for that. If you have tools we can do that(multi-meter)

good luck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
that sounds like it,but my thing is is it the tranny,or the converter
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this sounds right,but is it the converter,or the tranny
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 years ago.
well if the solenoid or the fluid pressure fails by deduction it would be the converter. I will get the tests
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 years ago.

here is a chart for checking ohms of the solenoid.graphic

it is in the valve body. there is abulletin that explains many possible causes so before you even drop the pan I would get the vehicle scanned for codes.

Article No.
03-12-3

12/01/03

TRANSAXLE - TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH NOT
ENGAGING AND/OR DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES
(DTC) P0741 OR P1744

FORD: 1996-2003 TAURUS, WINDSTAR
LINCOLN: 1996-2002 CONTINENTAL
MERCURY: 1996-2003 SABLE

Article 98-6-5 is being republished in its entirety to update the model years and to identify additional contributors to the DTC's being set

ISSUE

Torque converter clutch not engaging when commanded and/or Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) P0741 or P1744 stored in memory.

ACTION

Use a scan tool (NGS/WDS) to monitor PID's to help determine steps to take for service. Refer to the following Diagnostic Procedure for details.

parts places usually scan for free. We may need a dealer to scan for some of the tests, otherwise some checks will require the trans to come out and apart. They would check the solenoid ,harness and the TCM before teardown but as I said it could be mechanical.