Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes

Emission concerns are not only exhaust but also engine noise.

Customer Question

Emission concerns are not only exhaust but also engine noise. Why should the operator be concerned with meeting emissions regulations?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hello,what type of concerns do you have on emissions,is your car going to be tested for emissions in your state?Do you have abnormal engine noise?Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this is a research project for the diesel class i am takeing so it is not a specific vehichle but a question on the papaer i have to turn in
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
I dont know for sure if i could give you the best answer for this on your paper, i can opt out and send you to the homework page or i can opt out and see if someone else here can help,let me know what you want to do,Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well we have to provide a source for the answer i have no manuals to rerference so iam am doing this to find the answers. it is up to you as far as opting out if some one else can help then that is what we have to do. I have a four questions and need to reference them
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Internal noise, IE: piston, connecting rod, can cause uneven wear on the cylinder wall; thus, causing issues with crank case oils entering the combustion process due to scoring and damaged rings.

The same can be applied to upper engine issues. Take for example a worn valve guide. If you have play at the valve stem {side to side} it can damage seals, thus allowing oil to enter the combustion process. Oil in the combustion process equals NOX. So, if a vehicle exhibits an internal noise, and it can be attributed to lower end or valve train noise, and the vehicle passes emissions, technically, depending on the counties emission policies, they can fail a vehicle under the premise that it will have issues soon.

I am guessing that is what your looking for, at least that is how i read your question.