gunny44
gunny44, technician/shop foreman
Experience:  40 years experience, engine diagnose, transmissions, Ford, Pontiac, GM, Isuzu, 12 years with Kia
11374595

I need to talk to a KIA Mechanic, please only a Kia Mechanic

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I see nobody has helped you yet.. I wil refer you to our best Kia Expert. He will respond when he sees my message. For now, go ahead and explain your problem, so when he comes.. he will know what he is in for.
ok? Cool
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The engine will not idle, it runs very rough and has no power. the exhaust manifold gets very hot
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.
I just read the posts by TIM MOHR and sounds like he is right on....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you on line, i need some help with a Kia Sportage

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
here is my problem. I ended up changing motors out of a wrecked Sportage with a good motor. everything went back together perfect. the problem is that when i connect the batter the main relay starts buzzing and I donot get any voltage at the starter when the key is turned
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.
Out of courtesy are you asking me or Tim Mohr?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.

Reason I asked is that you already accepted Tim's answer.

Did this relay buzz with the old engine?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Everything worked properly on the old engine, it had poor compression, in the low 80, and I chose to replace it rather than rebuild it
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.

OK. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but will see as we go along. Some things may seem too basic for you.

You should have 12 volts at the thick wire on the starter all the time and 12 volts on the thin solenoid wire when key is in the crank position.

A buzzing relay is either a bad relay (swap it with another in the relay box), low voltage to it from the source or a bad ground in the system.

Suggest;

swap relay with another of the same number.

pull out relay and there should be 12 volts on 2 terminals for it in relay box with key in on position. check this.

check all the ground connections and any other connectors you disturbed by swapping engines. Don't forget the ground wire from battery tray to intake surge tank. Make sure no wires or harnesses were chaffed bare or pinched between something.

Try tapping on the relay box to see if buzzing stops.

Electrical problems are hard enough in person but over the internet it is mind boggling. This may take a while so bear with me.

I think you may have missed a ground connection or a connector somewhere while swapping engines. There is also a chance of a pinched harness somewhere. Carefully retrace all of your electrical steps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it possible that two connectors are the same and when i put it back together i cross connected them. No I have no voltage at the starter
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.
Give me a moment. Let me see if I can get into the electrical manual from here. I am at home.
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.

I don't think there are any connectors you could have crossed. Since we are dealing with the starter check out the following. Make note of checking ALL fuses and the one from the 2 wire terminals in the relay box if this vehicle has them. (diagram not that good. Check the fuses inside by the drivers kick panel. There should be a "start" fuse. Use a test light to check these fuses. $10 at a parts store if you don't have one. Always handy to have one.

Read the following diagram closely and see if you can find your problem with it. If not get back to me.

gunny44, technician/shop foreman
Experience: 40 years experience, engine diagnose, transmissions, Ford, Pontiac, GM, Isuzu, 12 years with Kia
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the accept.

I tried to edit the last post to include checking the automatic trans mode switch (neutral safety switch) adjustment.

Did you find the problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the car is at the shop. I will do the electric checks that you recommended tommorrow
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.

Ok. I'll find you. Good luck. Let me know. If I think of anything else I will post it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello, are you online, i need some additional information
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.
What's up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well The guy at the shop came clean and admitted that when he went to jump start the car he cross connected the cables blowing out the main 80amp fuse.

What other damage do you think has been done?

Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.

Did he replace the fuse? If so does the car start?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
replaced the fuse. I have power to the starter and the vehicle. The main relay buzzez until the key is turned and when you turn the key to the start possision I don't get any voltage on the small wire connected to the starter
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.

Damage that may have been done would most likely be to the alternator and the ECM.

Disconnect the fat wire from the alternator and see if buzzing stops. Be careful not to touch ground when doing this. Check the neutral safety switch if automatic or the clutch switch if stick shift. Check all the fuses in both boxes especially the start fuse and check the start relay if these are on your vehicle. Check these things and let me know. I can look into this more at work tomorrow with the shop manuels.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll check it in the morning. what does ecm stand for and what does it do?
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.

ECM (electronic control module) is the computer. The brains of the system. This will not cause the voltage problem to the starter. You will not know if there is damage to the ECM until vehicle cranks or starts. Don't worry about this yet. Rarely does the ECM get damaged from this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will I cause any problems if I put the key in the on possission and hot wire the starter
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.

No. the ECM does not control the starter voltage.

Stupid question, but are you sure the battery is good and not too weak when turning key and all systems come to supply voltage to the starter solenoid?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Brand new battery, took it in this evening and had Auto Zone check it, also had it charged. Will know more tomorrow
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.

You can turn the key on and jump the starter connections to see if it runs. That's fine. Just make sure a helper has the brakes on in case there is a shifter out of alignment.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its a 5 speed no problem. Will check the clutch safety switch also. talk to you tomorrow
Expert:  gunny44 replied 4 years ago.
Sound good.