Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes
12331040

I have a 1998 oldsmobile intrigue. Sometimes the starter will

I have a 1998 oldsmobile intrigue. Sometimes the starter will not crank the engine when I try to star the car. The dash lights come on but it seems like there is a sensor or something not allow the start to crank. Any ideas what could cause this?

There really is not much in between the ignition switch and the solenoid, with exception to a starter relay, and the switch itself. To test the system, a scan tool would make life easier {confirm crank signal without having to do voltage checks at switch}

The fact that turning the wheel makes a difference, makes me suspect the switch. You will want to verify {see diagram} that at crank, you have voltage at the PCM/BCM fuse #8 at the right door fuse panel. If not, suspect the switch. If so, move to the relay.

Pin 86 at the relay is a ground signal from the PRNDL switch. You already tried park and Neutral {initial diagnosis} but to actually see ti work or not when the issue arises is a good confirmation.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, the diagram is a map, follow it. If you have all signals to the starter, then the starter solenoid {starter asy} is most likely the issue.

Scott.

graphicgraphic