Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes

Suzuki: kick..third gear un till its warmed up..50 mph..vibrates

Hi I have a Suzuki side kick auto and it does not go in to third gear un till it's warmed up for about five minutes, and then around 50 mph it vibrates un till I go up to 60?? is it dieing?
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

I sounds like you are experiencing 2 different issues.

First, the shifting. I will assume, as I, it is getting pretty cold in the a.m. in your location. If the fluid is full and of good quality {pink/red and not burnt smelling} then you may have the following issue. If quality is poor, service and see what happens.

Usually, when a transmission had non shift/slow shift issues when cold, it is due to internal sealing. You have seals on the apply drums and throughout the trans that can contract when cold, usually to the point of allowing fluid to pass when the trans is older.

There is additives to help make the seals a bit mote pliable; however, they are just a band aid. You are nearing a rebuild moment.

Second, the vibration. Usually isolated vibrations that appear at certain speeds and fade away as you drive to a faster speed {basically being able to drive through it} is associated to something as simple as a wheel balance.

I attached a small "How do transmissions work" below.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX else told me that their is a filter for the transmission and that may be
cloged? that if I just replaced that it might work?
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

It probably would not hurt to investigate. If the fluid is of poor quality, then it would be a good bet, but if it were that clogged, it would do it all the time, not just cold.

Thank you for the accept.