Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  13 years of experience, Factory training for Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Saturn

Hi,I own a 1999 LWB bubble fender 3,5l pajero..engine started..revs

Customer Question

I own a 1999 LWB bubble fender 3,5l Pajero and absolutely loves it. A few weeks ago the engine started spluttering and did not want to pick up revs or idle. Booked it in at an agent. On the way there the alternator seized up. The dealer refurbished the alternator and starter and then started with fault finding. 1st prognosis: The bush on the butterfly shaft is worn out and the inlet manifold needs replacement. I had a bush made and inserted the bush without any difficulty. 2nd prognosis the fuel pump. This was replaced. While all of this was going on we had the timing belt replaced at the same time.

We got the car back and she ran beautifully. The following morning we left for holiday turned back 80km in the journey with a loud clapping noise in the engine. The dealer says that a bearing had collapsed in the motor. My question is, how does something like that happen so soon after a timing belt replacement. thanks. Johann [email protected]
Category: Car
Expert:  Josh replied 6 years ago.
Honestly the timing is just bad luck, the timing belt is in no way related to any internal engine failures, as it's just an external belt that connects the crankshaft to the camshafts, unless it breaks there is no way for it to cause engine damage, but at that point it wouldn't cause a tapping noise, it would cause the engine to no longer run.