Joe  Barfield
Joe Barfield, Master High-Tech
Experience:  Transmission Tech - Management Master Winner 3rd place Entire US Southeast region #1 after masters

Carb..the car goes into 3rd gear it loses all power and stalls..dies

Customer Question

76 amc pacer with 258 cid, just put a new carb on and am having same problem as before. When the car goes into 3rd gear it loses all power and stalls, after a few seconds, put in park and it starts. Car will idle all day but dies when it goes into second and third while driving.???
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Is this a daily driver ?.......Thanks Joey
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was when the problem started. But for the most part the car is driven infrequently
Ok, Your Problem Points to The Exhaust System Restricked......Which will Kill your Horsepower........Take to a service center or remove the pipe at the Engine Manifold & test Drive......It should work just fine .......The Engine Must Breath .......Thanks XXXXX the Accept Button If you have no Further Questions
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I can rev the engine in netral with no problem but as soon as the car is in gear and driving it starts to sputter dead. I was wondering if it could be a vacum advance issue but you think it may need a new mufler??
try holding it at wide open throttle in park, to see if the engine revs freely.......just for 2 seconds
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, engine revs well when throttle open but I do notice some hesitation after 5 seconds, I was going to try to drill some holes in the muffler. The muffler looks fairly new but the car was used for a putt around for years. The exhaust manifold bolts are way hidden under the intake manifold so I didn't feel like taking apart all that crap. Tried advanceing the timing slightly and got around the block almost twice before she died. Waiting for my drill to arrive so I can drill some holes in the muffler. Thanks for your patience. I know car is a POS but it ran fairly well when I first picked it up then I started rebuilding the carb and tuning it up and it went down hill from there. URGH.
Hi, (Pacer Patience)...........Thats on You.......Lol........Give Me Exhaust.........got to breath