Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!

99 Buick Park Avenue, it runs smooth for 3-5 min. and it shuts off.

I have a 99 Buick Park Avenue, it runs smooth for 3-5 min. and it shuts off.
Category: Car
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 years ago.

hello

when the engine dies does it just shut off or does it start to run bad before it dies.??

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 years ago.
im sorry but i asked you 2 different questions. does it run bad then die or does it just quit?. please be specific i really want to help but i need to get a feel for the car.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes,it runs rough before it cuts off.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 years ago.
ok have you tried giving it gas to see if you can keep it running??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, I can pat the gas to delay it but it will cut off. I try to crack it back up but it dies.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 years ago.
ok try and unplug the mass air flow sensor and see if it runs it may take a few times to get it started with the sensor unplugged but when it starts see if it will stay running on its own.also are there any fauttcodes is the check engine light on??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no codes in the computer. If I let the car sit for a minute it starts fine for about 2 minutes then studders and high idle up and down then cuts off.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 years ago.
ok did you try to unplug the mass air flow sensor like i suggested??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 years ago.
ok so did it run or no???? also does it sound like its sucking air like a vacuum leak when you get it started??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not in front of the car now. so what are the choices?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 years ago.
ok mass air flow sensor is reasding incorrectly not allowing the car to idle correectly. a pcv vavle or line in the rear vavle cover that comes ;loose letting in extra air at idle. or a map sensor not reading correctly. your bound to find a problem with one of these since you coverd the fuel and spark issue.hope this helps.,
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not saying no but it run perfect when cold . Ican reve it up to 4000 rpm and let up and it idle smooth. Key when cold .
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 years ago.
ok without you near the car to try a few steps thats as far as i can comfortably guess and i do not like recommending parts unless im ceratin its gonna help you out. you pretty much have the ignition system and fuel syste, covered so it tells me its just a sensor reading bad. a coolant temp sensor would actually do the same if it thinks its cold when the engine is warm it will flood itself. so now we got possible coolant temp sensor, mass air flow sensor, map sensor or vacuum leak.