Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

1998 Lincoln Town Car: the air suspension..trunk..light came back

I have a 1998 Lincoln Town Car and I think the air suspension is not functioning. The light remains on and I have tried the button in the trunk. It worked originally but the light came back on and the rear of the car is riding much lower. Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

You will want to get the trouble codes read out of the electronic susspension to see why the light is remaining on. Also, check the rear height sensors to see if they are out of adjustment.

Connect the New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester to the data link connector (DLC) located beneath the instrument panel and select the vehicle to be tested from the NGS menu.

If the DTC's retrieved are related to the concern, go to the Rear Suspension Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index to continue.

Adjustments
Notes
  1. The rear suspension ride height D dimension is adjusted by moving the rear air suspension height sensor mounting bracket inboard or outboard. A slot adjustment nut is provided on the bracket to adjust left or right as required. A one index change to the air suspension height sensor mounting bracket will yield approximately 5 mm (0.20 inch) change (up or down) to the vertical D dimension. WARNING:
      • DO NOT REMOVE AN AIR SPRING UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHEN THERE IS PRESSURE IN THE AIR SPRING. DO NOT REMOVE ANY COMPONENTS SUPPORTING AN AIR SPRING WITHOUT EITHER EXHAUSTING THE AIR OR PROVIDING SUPPORT FOR THE AIR SPRING TO PREVENT VEHICLE DAMAGE OR PERSONAL INJURY.
      • DISCONNECTING AN AIR LINE THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE AIR COMPRESSOR CAN CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY OR DAMAGE TO COMPONENTS AS HIGH PRESSURE AIR IS VENTED UNCONTROLLED .

CAUTION: The suspension height D dimensions are for reference only. The vehicle attitude must be controlled by the proper dimensions to prevent vehicle damage.

NOTE: Improper air suspension ride height D dimension may be caused by an air suspension system that is improperly set.

1. Position the vehicle on a level surface over an open repair pit.
  2. Open the luggage compartment and verify that the air suspension switch is turned on.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
  4. Add weight to the rear bumper so the vehicle rises to trim position.
  5. When the air compressor stops the vehicle is now at trim level. Remove the weight, then close the driver door and the vehicle will lower to the bottom of the ride height band.
  6. Rock the vehicle sideways to remove the effect of suspension friction and allow it to settle.
  7. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then turn the air suspension switch off to prevent inadvertent actuation of the system.
  8. Remove the weld flash from the inboard frame reinforcement rail surface.

graphic

• Position the Dimension Gauge-Ride Sensor on the rear axle.
  • Measure the ride height D dimension.
  •  

graphic

1)Release the set screw.
    2)Pull the sliding post and scale up until it touches the bottom of the inboard frame rail and lock the set screw.
    3)Measure the ride height D dimension

1. Remove the Dimension Gauge-Ride Sensor and read the ride height D dimension.

graphic

NOTE: If D ride height dimension is not within specification, adjust by moving the rear air suspension height sensor attaching bracket inboard (vehicle high) or outboard (vehicle low). Moving the bracket one index mark left or right will change the vertical D dimension approximately 5 mm (0.20 inch) .

1. After adjustment is made, repeat steps 2-6 and 9-12.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
    Experience: ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager