Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

My speedometer quit working , 2001 sonata with 80,000 miles.

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
HI there! Is the check engine light on as well?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no check engine light.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
OK, more then likely the speedometer itself has gone bad. Normally if it is the speed sensor, you will get the check engine light on and a code for thge speed sensor. Fuse #5 inside the car also controls the instrument cluster so I would start by checking the fuse. Otherwise, you really need a scan tool to determine if the speed sensor is working. The scan tool will show the speed even if the cluster/speedometer doesn't. This is the best way to confirm the problem being the speedometer itself and not the speed sensor or broken wires. Even if you have to pay to have it diagnosed, you could then determine if you can perform the repair yourself to save money. This will be less then throwing parts at it.
Hope this is useful! Thanks!