Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Firing sequences for a holden vn v8 1990

firing sequences for a holden vn v8 1990
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

this may help you

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Firing Order Holden V8 and 6:

When setting the ignition timing on any Holden engine it is important that Cylinder number 1 be at the timing mark on the firing stroke and both the inlet and exhaust valves for Cylinder number 1 are closed. This position is slightly before Top Dead Centre (TDC). Note there is a second and unwanted timing position which occurs at the end of the exhaust stroke. When this position is present both the inlet and exhaust valves will be "on the rock" i.e the exhaust valve will be closing and the inlet valve opening. "On the rock" is also known as "Valve Overlap" because both valves are partly open at the same time or overlapping. Setting the ignition timing to the Valve Overlap position will cause backfiring out of the carburettor and the engine will fail to start. This is because the plug will spark while the valves are open instead of them both being shut.

[edit] Holden V8 Firing Order:

[] Holden V8 Breaker Point Distributor Position and Timing:

[edit] Holden V8 HEI Distributor Position and Timing:

[] Holden V8 Cylinder Positions:

The cylinder positions are sometimes written on the inlet manifold.

Engine Front Left Engine Front Right
2 1
4 3
6 5
8 7

[] L34 Single and Dual Coil Distributors:

L34 Distributor. Image by T.