George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

Im working on a 01 Hyundai Accent 1.5 SOHC. Cusotmer was at

I'm working on a 01 Hyundai Accent 1.5 SOHC. Cusotmer was at a stop when engine stalled. Had it towed to my place (2Mi), showed a P340 code. Checked CPS, sensor is fine. Pulled top cover to timing belt, no tension on timing belt , and camshaft did not move while turning crankshaft. Disassembled and my suspicions were correct, timing belt missing about 20 teeth. Was able to locate timing mark for TDC on the No.1 with no problem. However, the camshaft sprocket has two (2) marks stamped on the sprocket filled with white paint at the 12 o'clock, and 3 o'clock positions when the knock pin is at the 12 o'clock. The timing mark on the main crank sprocket is clearly visible and corresponds with the mark on the block for TDC. On this car, I can not locate any visible timing mark/s on the upperblock for setting either of the two marks on the camshaft Anyone know how to set the camshaft with these two arrows/markings?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with oyur question,

Here are the timing marks for your engine

graphic

Please let me know if you have further questions about this

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

George,

Thanks for the speedy response. I have a subscription to alldata too, and have the same diagram you show. I am at work right now, and I am going to look again, but I looked at the face of the engine from top to bottom, and the right side of the block (toward front of car) doesn't have the same pointer (timing mark) as is depicted on this picture. As I stated in my question, I have two timing marks stamped on the camshaft sprocket. One at the 12, and one at the 3 o'clock positions with the knock pin at the 12 o'clock. If I do locate the pointer, which one of the marks do I set on it?

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The knock pin goes to the 12:00 position to have the #1 valves closed. You should be able to look through the hole in the cam gear and line it up to the mark at the 12:00 position. Use a mirror and flashlight to eliminate any paralax error but this engine is pretty straight forward to time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Last question,

When you say the "cam gear", are you talking about the sprocket? If so, that would make sense of a diagram I downloaded from the Hyundai site. It shows something sort of like a small window on the sprocket when the knock pin is at 12:00. Is this the hole you are speaking of?

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Yes the cam gear and sprocket are interchangable in my lexicon. The hole is just above the knock pin and affords a view of the timing mark when the knockpin/sprocket is in the 12:00 position. You can double check with the cam lobes for #1 cylinder, the cam followers should be on the base circle of the cam so that the valves are closed on the #1 cylinder in this position

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more before I hit the "accept" button. I did a timing belt on another vehicle about a month ago, but it was a DOHC. In order to get both cams in the correct position, there was a "slot" on the back end of the camshaft where you had to put a piece of angle iron or similar spacer in the slot, across the two cams,and rest it on the top of the block to get them aligned, and the angle iron would only fit if both cams were in the right position. I haven't taken the valve cover off yet, but some of the camshaft diagrams I've seen show a similar principle. Is this standard with most OHC's? Thanks for your help and I'll hit the pay button on the next go around.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

That was a ford or mercury that you used the cam holder and is specific to ford motor products. I have never seen this method but I have seen the system where you insert a set of drills in the can gear to hold it in position to the block as there is a coresponding hole in the block to recieve the drill so no it is not standard with DOHC engines. There are severl aftermarket devices that wedge between the cam gears to hold them but a spring clip to hold the timing belt to the sprocket works best for me if there are timing marks.

On your engine there are flats on the camshaft that allow you to rotate it. Back the crankshaft off 90 degrees and rotate the camshaft to feel fo any binding, that may be why it stripped the teeth off the belt.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry,

There is no belt on now. The crankshaft moves freely, without binding. Do you mean I should turn the camshaft manually a couple of revolutions to check for binding, or after I've installed the new belt and have proper tension? I have all four plugs out to make movement easier.

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.
I would turn the camshaft with the belt off, just back the crank off 90 degrees from its mark to make sure you don't have valve to pistion contact, if the camshaft bends or the bearings get coked there may be enough of a "catch" to strip the teeth off the belt. Just a CYA to be sure you don't have problems down the road
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the help!
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Glad to help and thank you for using JA!!