Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

2002 Infiniti QX4: Car stopped running..10 minutes..turning left

Car stopped running in the middle of a 4 way stop.
2002 Infiniti QX4
Car was running for approx 10 minutes. As i was turning left, it died in the middle of the intersection like it ran out of gas. Tried to restart, it ran for about 1/2 sec then died. Tried this 3-4 times, same result. Fuel gage read 1/4 full so I thought maybe the gage went bad and it's out of gas. Put a couple of gallons in and same result, runs about 1/2 sec. When I removed the gas cap, there was pressure.
How many miles on vehicle? Has any repairs or service been done in the pas year other then oil changes?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's got around 105,000. No major repairs over the past year. Had new rear struts put on this spring. Other than that, it's run very well. The car is driven by my 22 yo daughter. She takes pretty good care of it. Other than driving 90 mph coming home from college.
At this time I would recommend that you have the fuel pump checked, You can have them test the pump pressure the specs.are 43psi. They have been known to stop working and start working again (and when tested the pressures may be good) Due to mileage I would recommend replacing the fuel pump! Thank-you If I can be of any more assistance please ask!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does a QX4 have a fuel pump fuse?
To start with If the fuse had blown it would never hav restarted until you replaced the fuse!So rule out the fuse (they wont reset on this model) I enclosing the locations of fuel pump relays in the under hood boxes.graphic
I have sent you locations of fuel pump relays and fuse but keep in mind that if the fuse burned out or relay then it is more then likely due to high resistance from the fuel pump or wiring to the pump! Thanks let me know if I can be of any more assistance!

Edited by Autotech1 on 12/15/2009 at 5:49 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the info. I'll check the fuse and relys in the morning. Your right, there has to be an overload on the pump for it to blow the fuse so even if the fuse is blown, it will only blow again until I have the pump replaced.
Yes, due to high resistance caused by a failing pump.Let me know how it goes Thanks!