Mike Myers
Mike Myers, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Associates degree in automotive technology, shop owner
26879743

How do I remove the rear speakers from a 92 Geo Prizm

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Myers replied 6 years ago.
you have to remove the cardboard deck trim to access the screws, start by removing the rear seat bottoms, then the backs, then the trim. hope this helps, good luck.
-mike

Please click the accept button,as this is the only way for me to get paid for my work. understand we will still be able to correspond about any questions you may have
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have already done that, and found out that the front screws are inserted from the top of the mount, not the bottom. Is the speaker box (the Geo Prizm uses speaker boxes) removable (This might explain the screws from the top?
you should be able to remove the box, have you checked from inside the truck for screws holding thr box in place?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The box has xcrews that come in from the top down into the rear deck lid and facia. I cannot get to the screw heads to remove them. Yesterday, I removed the back seat and rear deck facia, and cound not remove the screws because all I could see is the thread of the screws that were inserted from the top of the speaker box assembly.
i don't understand, what is covering the heads of the screws?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The heads of the screws seem to be inside of the speaker enclosure (on top of the deck facia).
did you remove the plastic speaker covers?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The speaker covers seem to be an integrl part of the speaker coxes on the rear deck. I have tried, unsucessfully, to revove the covers. I replaced the front speakers yesterday, and they were mounted into boxes that were held in place by 3 dtuds each. Are the rear speakers removed the same way (I can see the speaker boxes)?
the covers should be able to be removed, usually held in place by clips, just pry the cover up with a screwdriver. if the screw heads are under the covers, then the covers have to be able to be removed. try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I looked for covers like the ones for the dash removal, and none were vivible on the speaker snclosure/covers .... I already thought of that yesterday. Are the covers latched down by internal clips? That would make sense, but I haven't seen any reference to them on the internet.
yes the covers are held in place by internal clips, not visable.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do you remove the covers without destroying them .... I have tried to pry them up, and nothing gives!
they have to be pryed up, that is the only way to remove them. sometimes the clips get stuck pretty good, just go slow and pry one corner at a time.

Please click the accept button, as this is the only way for me to get paid for my work. Please understand that we will still be able to correspond about any questions you may have. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got the covers off by cutting the pins with a razor chisel. The speakers are now replaced, and I reattached the covers using some Household Goop as an adhesive!

Thanks!
glad to hear that. let me know if there is anything else i can do for you in the future.
-mike