david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

My turn signals are not working on my 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme,

Customer Question

My turn signals are not working on my 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme, We have replaced the bulbs, checked fuses and put in a flasher. What else could be wrong? The emergency lights do work as well as the headlights and tail lights.
Category: Car
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

There are two flashers one for the emergency lights and one for the turn signals.
Just to be sure you replaced the right one.

Turn signals flasher is located
Front seating area, driver side, behind dash, next to steering column, mounted on panel

Emergency lights flasher is located
Below left hand side of the instrument panel

If you have replaced the flasher and checked the bulbs:
Sounds like the only thing it could be is the turn signal switch. If you need removal steps just ask.

The emergency flashers are not run throw the turn signal switch this is why they still work.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is the turn signal switch located and how hard is it to replace? Also, I have heard of a relay switch that is not too expensive - is the relay switch the same as the flashers
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
Yes the relay switch is the same as the flashers.

The turn signal switch is the lever you use to operate the turn signal. it is called a multi-function switch it is one unit.

graphic

You should test that you are getting power to the switch just to be sure it is bad.
If you are getting power to the switch but not throw it you know the switch it bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I test that I am getting power to the switch? I didn't understand what you meant when you said "If you are getting power to the switch but not throw it you know the switch it bad.?
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
To test that you are getting power to the you are going to need a circuit tester
graphic
With this tester you can see if you are getting power to the switch.

As for power to the switch but not throw it. Think of it this way if the switch is bad you will not get power throw it because something inside it is broken.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like a second opinion from another expiert
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like another expert to look at my problem and give answers
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
OK some one will be looking this over it will tack a little time
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will wait for the 2nd expert opinion.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please refund my $23 - I was not satisfied.

Sincerely,

Pam Gillespie

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Refund my $23 immediately. Information was not what I was looking for.

Sincerely,

Pam Gillespie

Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
Hi as you can see Steve7654 agrees with this answer. i have helped you with your question. i am sorry that you do not trust my 15 years of auto repair along with Steve's 25+ years.

But if you think it is something else i wish you the best of luck

You have not been charged anything if you read the customer info page before you payed
You would know that you are NOT charged at all till you click the ACCEPT button.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/tos#fees

Good luck hope things work out for you

Edited by david on 12/11/2009 at 4:23 AM EST