Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  13 years of experience, Factory training for Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Saturn

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette: everytime I start..about 30 seconds

I just purchased a 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette. Everytime I start the car, the wiper blades move back and forth (about 1-2 inches, not all the way) for about 30 seconds, then they stop. This happens without turning the wiper blades on. But after they stop moving and you turn the wipers on, they work fine. Any idea what the problem is and if I should be worried about it. Is it something easy that I can replace myself?
Category: Car
Expert:  Josh replied 6 years ago.
Hello, what's most likely happening is the spring on the park cam is pushing the wiper motor out of it's park position while the vehicle is off, which causes the wipers to repark once the key is turned on and it senses it's not in the park position. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it as long as the wipes still work, as far as replacing the motor yourself, yes you can, but it's very difficult to get the park cam back in the correct position on the motor so I try to avoid them whenever possible.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.