Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

I have a 95 mazda millenia that will not accelerate. It idles

Customer Question

I have a 95 mazda millenia that will not accelerate. It idles perfect, and will rev up fine if I work it super slow in park. With load it just sounds like a rough idle when attempting to accelerate. I have a new TPS, IAT, TCS module, main relay, fuel filter, and a new distributor. I checked the MAF, ignition timing, vacuum leaks, and cleaned the EGR ports. Still the car acts like it has no vacuum advance, and will not move.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

You will want to check the fuel pressure and make sure that it is not low.

Also, the fuel filter, that it's not clogged up or restricting the flow of fuel.

If they are both ok, then you might have a problem with the exhaust system being restricted. You can have an exhaust back pressure test done on it, or you can take out the 02 sensor that is closest to the engine, JUST AS A TEST and see if it runs much better. If it does, that means the the exhaust system, (most likely the cat) is clogged up. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a new fuel filter, and the pressure is good, so is the pressure regulator. I pulled the O2 sensor, and the exhaust does not seem to be plugged. Made no difference in the acceleration.
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
You will want to see how the engine's compression is, that will give the symtoms that you have if it is low.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The compression is good, and the mileage is low on this motor. It was driving perfect. One day, I stop to get gas, and I didn't even get 2 blocks. I was sitting at a stop light 2 blocks from the gas station, and the car made a little misfire, which is abnormal for it. I touched the gas, and immediately noticed the acceleration problem. I had to push the car into the parking lot I was sitting next to at the red light. This occurred while I was idling at the street light. I have drained the gas tank, and filled with super unleaded, and let it idle a while to get the new gas through the lines, but still to no avail. First assumption was bad gas.
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.

That's all I can think of on it. Let me opt out and we can relist the case to see if there may be another expert who may have more insight as to what it may be. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have to go get a christmas tree anyway, I will be back shortly. Thank you for your expertise. I wasn't sure how to check the cats, so I can at least check that off my list.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer Super mechanic dropped me a note, to check in if I had any other ideas. I do. Take a blue propane bottle like what you would do to sweat pipes. Run a hose into the intake via a vaccum hose or some other point of access. Feed propane in and see if that allows you to rev the engine up. It's possible you did have bad fuel that had debris in it. The finer particles may have made it through your filter and restricted the fuel injectors. If the engine responds to the propane, I would suspect restricted fuel injectors. Let me know what happens.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can, with the vehicle in park, slowly work the gas pedal, and with some finesse, I can get the engine to rev right on up to 3000 rpm's, or higher, then hold that rpm for a period of time even. It doesn't even misfire when I do it just right. If there were a blockage in the injectors it shouldn't be able to do this. For some reason if I push the pedal any farther than about 1/2 inch, it just starts to idle rough. It doesn't matter if I push the pedal half-way, or all the way, it just idles rough. However if I push the pedal just slow enough it will start to rev, then accelerate properly after about 2000 r's. However in Drive you can't do anything. Too much load I assume.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
You may not be able to get enough volume of fuel through the injectors. Try the propane, let's see what happens. I have seen this many times before. Give it a shot and let's see if we get postive results.
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here is the thing. First off, I have to acquire some propane. My friend is going to bring some over this evening. However, not one other person has any faith in this idea due to what I described above. If I finesse the pedal and get it over 2000 r's, it then accelerates much better, and easily redlines, or will hold high 4000 rpms as long as I want with no misfires. Most believe I should not be able to redline this car or hold high r's with no misfire, if an injector was plugged. My only issue is the acceleration from the start. On top of that this is like my 5th reply back and forth for things I have already checked in one way or the other. I am running out of time, for I need this car to see family for Christmas. If the propane doesn't work, I will probably tow the car to a diagnostic shop and then post the results.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
The thing, I'd like you to understand about trying the propane goes beyond a restricted injector. If we find out that this engine will respond better with the propane, we now know that fuel distribution is our issue. This can be due to restricted injectors or the computer's control of those injectors. We are using the propane as a tool to isolate what is happening. If we see no change at all, then we are going to look in another direction. I have verified many problems using this method. Keep and open mind and let's see what occurs with the propane.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just to let you know, the problem turned out to be that the brand new distributer had failed already. No injector, or fuel problems. New distributer, and it runs great now.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Fantastic, Defective parts are miserable and make all work twice as hard. We would have moved towards ignition if the fuel test showed no change. Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to here the results,