john turnipseed
john turnipseed, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certified , member of NACAT (north american council of automotive teacher)
6607327

2002 Nissan Maxima SE: Camshaft Position Actuator A Bank 2 Timing

What is causing "Code P0021 - Camshaft Position Actuator A Bank 2 Timing over advanced" on my 2002 Nissan Maxima SE ?
Category: Car
Expert:  john turnipseed replied 5 years ago.

1. Check the engine oil level and condition. If the engine oil is low, it could set this code.

2. If the oil is good, check the IVT Control Solenoid voltage on the Red wire for battery voltage to the solenoid and the Green wire for the on/off signal when the engine is revved to 2000 RPM.

3. If the signal is good, then the ECM is trying to control the valve timing. Manually ground the Green wire for the IVT Control Solenoid to see if there is a change in the way the engine idles. If so, the solenoid is working. If not, the solenoid could be stuck.

4. The resistance of the IVT solenoids is 7.5 ohms at 70 degrees F.

here is a service bullitin on this

Classification: EM06-005a

Reference: NTB06-079a

Date: January 24, 2008

DTC FOR VARIABLE VALVE TIMING CONTROL FUNCTION

This bulletin has been amended. The Applied Vehicles section has been expanded. No other changes have been made. Please discard any other copies.

APPLIED VEHICLES:
All 1996 - 2009 with Variable Valve Timing

APPLIED ENGINES:
VQ35; QR25; QG1B; GA16; VQ40; VK56; MR18; MR20

IF YOU CONFIRM:

The MIL is on with any of the following DTCs stored:

^P0011, P0014, P0021, P0024, P1110, P1135,

NOTE: The engine may also have Camshaft Sprocket rattle noise and/or other engine noise.

ACTION

Do Not replace the variable valve timing Solenoid Valve or the Sprocket(s) without performing the complete diagnostics indicated in the EC section of the Service Manual.

The first steps in the complete diagnostic are to make sure the:

^Engine oil is at the operating level; add oil if needed. Refer to the Service Manual for low oil level diagnoses if needed.

^

Oil pressure is normal when measured with a gauge at the pressure switch port. Refer to the Service Manual for low oil pressure diagnoses if needed.

graphic
Experience: ase certified , member of NACAT (north american council of automotive teacher)