LowTech, Diagnostic, Electrical, Mechanical
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience in European, Import and Exotic diagnostic and mechanical training

1994 Buick Regal: Oil sending unit..oil pressure switch..half-way

I have a 1994 Buick Regal 3.8 - In October 2009, after the dashboard oil gauge was flucuating I replaced the Oil sending unit (as listed on invoice) after a Just Answer Mechanic suggested changing the oil pressure switch - it was replaced and all seemed OK - today I noticed the dashboard oil gauge at idle is half-way, and when driving it it is up to 90%.
Category: Car
Expert:  LowTech replied 6 years ago.
Are you concerned about having high oil pressure?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not car educated re maintenance - so, is high oil pressure a problem? - Thee is no add oil indicated, but I wonder why the gauge has gone up to 90%
Expert:  LowTech replied 6 years ago.
High oil pressure could be a problem if it is too high. Colder weather tends to thicken oil creating higher oil pressure. Driving the car cold, i.e. before it warms up, also creates higher oil pressure as the viscocity of the oil thins, so to speak, as the engine warms up.

What is the temperature where you are?

Do you know what weight oil they used at your last oil change? Something like 10w30 or 5w20 etc.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I live and drive in southern Florida - the oil is what was put in when I had an oil changed last month - and the odometer reads 180,000 miles - and I appreciate your follow-up questions
Expert:  LowTech replied 6 years ago.
Did the oil pressure just go up suddenly or has it been high since your last oil change?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I noticed it today so my memory says it went up suddenly
Expert:  LowTech replied 6 years ago.
90% does seem a bit high. The gage should read somewhere in the middle or a bit higher than middle on a gage that does not have numbers. It is possible you have a problem with your oil pressure relief valve not opening up enough to bleed off excess oil pressure. I would recommend taking it in and having them check your oil pressure as high oil pressure can tend to cause problems.
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. If this has helped in any way Please click ACCEPT this is only way I get paid. Bonus's and Positive Feedback is appreciated. If you need more help please ask.