cory cooper
cory cooper, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years of experience. All phases of repair, overhaul,diag of auto, marine and motorcycles
8238693

My 89 Ford Ranger 2.9L V6 has no power when put into gear.

Customer Question

My 89 Ford Ranger 2.9L V6 has no power when put into gear. The engine turns over fine and sounds ok besides this new putter sound that occurs randomly. When in gear, the engine does not respond to the throttle whether halfway open or all the way. Any ideas what may be the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  cory cooper replied 7 years ago.
try introducing carb spray into the throttle body and with it partially open in gear. This will require a helper, have them put the vehicle in reverse, remove the intake boot from the throttle body and as you open throttle by hand partially, introduce some carb spray or starting fluid. Also, hook a vacuum guage to the engine and monitor that as well. Must maintain a steadyt 15 inches of Vacuum at idle .If the engine does not increase with the spray, also check exhaust flow for clogged catalytic converters.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've actually tried to introduce carb spray directly into the open throttle, but nothing happened. Is there supposed to be a difference when its in reverse?
No, reverse keeps you from getting run over. Does the engine rev up strong in Park or Neutral? What is the Vac reading?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I haven't tried the vacuum gauge yet cause i'm at work, but the engine revs up strong in park. Haven't tried in neutral, but I would assume it would do the same because it only seems to lose power when in drive or reverse.
You may have a transmission problem, does it move in forward at idle, does it move in reverse?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It moves in forward and in reverse, just at idle speed it seems.

When the trans is engaged, the engine is under a load, this is when exhaust flow becomes important, remove exhaust pipes from manifolds on each side, retest. If ok you have a restriction in exhaust, sometimes the catalytic converter will break apart and lodge in other parts of the exhaust system, this may be the noise you are hearing intrermittently. Let me know

Cory

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I actually got sorta ripped off when my muffler fell off a few years ago. The mechanic did not put the muffler i paid for on, just a tailpipe straight back. So, I dont know if a clogged exhaust would be the problem... Any ideas?
hook up a vacuum guage, do you still have the original cats?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have the original cats or a vacuum gauge

check ignition timing with a timing light. Disconnect spout connector at distributor harness, should be 10 degrees Before top dead center.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, but if the timing is off would the engine even start?
Yes the engine will start and run with the timing off. You must check this to eliminate the possibilty of the timing being off.