cory cooper
cory cooper, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years of experience. All phases of repair, overhaul,diag of auto, marine and motorcycles

2004 kia optima: highway..wont start..the timing belt was

Customer Question

I have an 2004 kia optima with the 2.4 motor with an automatic.While driving down the highway the cardied as if the key was turned off.No check engine lightunusual noises,etc..cranks over but won't start. I can hear the fuel pump runing when I first turn the key on. Car has 1/4 tank of fuel.Noticed that tach is not moving when I crank it over.Well I changed the crank sensor and while it was apart noticed that the timing belt was shot,turned engine over by hand and all timing marks lined up.Changed the belt and turned over by hand again before trying to start.Cranks but won't start,have no trouble codes present,have battery voltage to cam,crank and coils but no spark.I checked this with a "sparky".checked all fuses both underhood and in the dash,pulled plugs not wet or fouled,can still hear fuel pump run...What should I check next?
Category: Car
Expert:  cory cooper replied 6 years ago.
Pull a coil out and install a plug, hook a good ground wire to threads and visually check for spark in low lighting first. If you have availability to a noid light (injectorpulse tester) check for pulse as well at the injector plug harness.

Edited by cory cooper on 12/2/2009 at 3:22 AM EST
a quick test for no fuel delivery is to spray a carb cleaner that is mass air flow sensor safe through intake boot, to enable startup. In the event of an engine start after spray is introduced, you will know you have spark and no fuel delivery. In the event of no start after spray, further ignition system diagnosis will be required. Did you check compression?

Edited by cory cooper on 12/2/2009 at 3:31 AM EST
Are you sure you have no spark at the plug? Remember, start with the basics, Compression #1, Fuel Delivery #2, Ignition #3 Never heard of a "Sparky". Do you mean a igniton coil tester that fits on top of the coil? If so, sometimes they do not get wave transmission, due to improper grounding. Check spark at plug.