FixItMan, Master Technician

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear: my car

I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear. This year has been horrendous with respect to repairs and sheer frustration. In June of 2009, my car neglected to start and I was told it needed a battery. A new battery was installed and 4 days later, it powered down on the highway and I was later told it needed an alternator. A new alternator was installed by the dealer, but I was advised of some oil leaks. I had the engine washed to identify the leaks and to address some coolant leaks. The oil leaks were addressed, a new water pump and vacuum seal and/or pump were also installed and things seemed to be fine for a few weeks. Within the same month, I had the serpentine belt (Poly-V belt) replaced along with the belt tensioner. (We are at a total of about 2,300) This past Sunday, the car wouldn't start and mimicked the same symptoms as it had when it needed a new alternator. It is currently in the shop and the mechanics are trying to identify what's draining the battery. HELP ME!!!!!
HelloCustomer when the vehicle is running does it run fine? Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, the car runs great when it's actually running. The engine light is not on. The only thing I did notice is on Saturday (the day before it didn't start), I noticed the radio/cd player was fine as usual and the speakers had bass, later that day, I noticed the there was no bass and it sounded as if I may have blown the subwoofer or something in the speaker. Not sure if this has anything to do with it since the radio/cd player is a factory unit, not something that was installed after production. It's at the mechanics now and they can't seem to find anything wrong with the car. They told me they charged the battery and it appears to be holding the charge and the alternator is continuing to charge it. They asked if I may have left something on, but I hadn't. The interior light between the driver and passenger side seats was set to normal (only comes on when the doors are open). My mom seems to think that it could be due to the fact that I don't turn the radio/cd player off when I power the car off. However, that sounds ridiculous to me since I never turn the radio off when I shut the car off. I just turn the car off. Is this bad?

You would not have a choice of turning the radio off yourself, as this should power down on it's own. The most common causes of these types of issues on this vehicle are due to loose connections near the battery as shown below. If these connections are fine then you may have a bad ignition switch.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is a bad ignition switch something you can test for?
Yes. You would need to check for voltage at certain circuits when the vehicle is turned off to see if it is keeping some of the electrical systems on.