LowTech
LowTech, Diagnostic, Electrical, Mechanical
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience in European, Import and Exotic diagnostic and mechanical training

Lights Work, but Car Wont Start afterXXXXX

Customer Question

My son's car won't start after driving about 7 hours interstate. Lights work, ignition turns over but doesn't catch. What to do?
Category: Car
Expert:  LowTech replied 4 years ago.
did it stop running or was the car shut off and did not restart?

What was it running like just before it broke down?

How many miles?

Is he able ot hear the fuel pump running?

Does it act like it wants to start or just turns over as if it lost fuel or spark?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He stopped for gas, and it wouldn't restart. 41K miles. running fine, infact had the oil changed and everything checked out this am. It trys to start.

Oh, he just called and it started up after waiting a while.

What do you think it was? Maybe he didn't hold the key on ignition long enough?

Expert:  LowTech replied 4 years ago.
Possible. It could possibly be a weak fuel pump also. Also, from time to time, the BIU sometimes will not read the key. Best thing to do is take it in and have a full scan ran on it on all the modules to see what caused it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What does the fuel pump sound like? Any way we can tell whether it is weak or not on our own?
Expert:  LowTech replied 4 years ago.
Fuel pump would be a light whining noise from the rear of the car when you turn the key on before you turn it over. You would need a fuel pressure tester to see if you are getting the correct pressure. And a DVM to see if the fuel pump is pulling more amps than it should. If it was pulling more amps than it was designed to, it is working harder, meaning it is hoing bad.
_____________________
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. If this has helped in any way Please click ACCEPT this is only way I get paid. Bonus's and Positive Feedback is appreciated. If you need more help please ask.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I am waiting for my son to come to another pit stop and see if it happens again...
Expert:  LowTech replied 4 years ago.
Not a problem. I will try to stay online just in case. I know he is on the road and may need immediate help. I'll do what I can.
_____________________
Experience: I have over a decade of experience in European, Import and Exotic diagnostic and mechanical training
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All's well. He stopped and the car had no more troubles.

Thanks.

Expert:  LowTech replied 4 years ago.
That is good to know. If you need any more help, please feel free to keep me in mind. Thank you for the accept. Hope the rest of his trip goes well.
_____________________