transman
transman, automotive instructor
Experience:  28 years exp,complete autmotive diagnostics and repair
14457476

2002 mitsubishi galant: cylinder..the car drives fine.I..throttle

Customer Question

I have a 2002 mitsubishi galant 6 cylinder

In the morning when i try to start the car keeps shutting off unless i keep my foot on the gas and warm it up,once warmed up the car drives fine.

I cleaned out the throttle bottle and the idle control valve and still have the problem.

it also through a code p0506 cleared it after i cleaned the throttle body and has not come up again
Category: Car
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
HI, did you do a idle air relearn after the throttle cleaning?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope not sure how to do that
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
ok its simple just disconnect the positive side of the battery for 3 minutes grab the positive wire and with it touch the negative side of the battery and then reconnect to positive side, start the engine and hold the idle up to 1500 RPM and after 1 minute release the pedal slowly until fully released. and let it idle for another minute and road test then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok tryed that gonna let it cool off becuase it always hard to start when it cools down
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
ok.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Try it this morning and same thing ,have to keep my foot on the gas for a bit then it run good.
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
ok, you are going to need to remove the idle air control valve and replace and do the same procedure to reset ok.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Finally bought the part 320.00 ! yikes

put it in and gonaa try programing it.

does the red terminal wire touch the post of the negative or wire ? does it have to spark ?

Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
no it does not have to spark . ok follow the instructions you recived on removel and replacement
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still does the same runs perfect but have to keep my foot on the gas and maintain it there for a few or it shuts down.
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
ok, is the engine light on, can you turn the air conditioner on and see if it will hold idle with it on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No engine light yes it does hold idle with the ac, it just when the car sits the car will start and shut off unless i hold the gas once i do that for a few it run good.

like it need an adjustment ,kind of like the old cars when you adjust the choke

Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
was the base idle screw tamper with?, is the tpsconector ok and is the tps adjustable?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That i know of no ,were would you find the tps ?

Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
ok the tps is located on the same place were the idle air control valve is located on the throttle inspect conector and see if sensor is loose, .
Throttle Position Sensor
Notes
View F
Notes
Overall View

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok checked and theres a senser with a connection that moves from from left to right it is lose kind of like when you move a distributer
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
well it is not supost to move can you see if the screws that hold it in place are tight?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope there lose
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
ok lest secure the screws not to tight ,just enough to keep from moving, some times the screw leaves a mark on the brackets can you see if the old marks are present on the tps so you can adjust the tps to the same setting it had before., before tightening
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not really no marks, tighten it the way it was,theres an adjustment on this senser too.
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
yes but lest see how it does go ahead and start the vehicle see if it holds idle if not then we need to adjust it and reset the idle with battery disconnect.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hold idle fine
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
ok let it run for 2 more minutes that the 02 sensors will kick in adjusting fuel enrichment and if ok then that is it .
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.

will you be needing any more help?

Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
it would be nice if you press the accept button so i can get pay thank you
transman, automotive instructor
Experience: 28 years exp,complete autmotive diagnostics and repair
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Didnt work still willl not hold idle when it cools down unless you hold the gas for a a minute or so
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
ok,the tps is adjustable and it controls the idle air control motors operation i dont know why it was loose it is posible some one was there adjusting it , and know is out of adjustment and is controling the speed wrong , we need to adjust the tps do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes but not an expert with it i try moving it and the idle does go down and up but not much
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
ok, lest try with out the volts meter first, move the sensor all the way to the right and let the car cool of and try to start like that see what happings if not then we use the voltmeter dont worry i will shou you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok left it all the way to the right and will let it cool off,becuase if it still warm it start right up
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
ok give it enough time to cool off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok tryed it again and same old thing,will not stay on by just cranking the key
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
ok lest move it to the other side then all the way. one more time , and can you locate the fuel return hose going from the rail to the tank. not the pressure one . and see if is flexible rubber house let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you give me the insruction and i will try it tomorrow,its late and the car is in the drive way rather try it with some daylight

Thanks

Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.
ok, there are 2 fuel lines going to the injector rail one is pressure to the rail from the tank and the oder is pressure return from the rail to the tank, i need you to start the vehicle until its able to maintain idle by itself then shut it off and locate the return fuel line and block the fuel return by squeezing the house with a vise grip players and leave like that overnight and try starting in the morning with the house block see if it will start ok. (make sure the house is rubber)