Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2000 Kia Sephia: 000 miles..check engine light would come..gas cap

Hi I have a 2000 Kia Sephia with about 150,000 miles on it. The check engine light would come on every now and then. It would stop sometimes when I adjusted the gas cap. I let it go too long and, I blew the cat converter. It still ran for awhile but then just started to lose power and got poor and gas mileage dramatically. While I had it out on the freeway the other day and the car all of a sudden completely ran out of power, though still running would not reach high enough RPMs to go over 20 MPH. I had the car towed home and I replaced the plugs and the wires. The car still starts fine and will go around the block, but no faster than 15-20MPH. If I push on the throttle the engine reaches a certain level but then it seems like it loses compression and won't reach higher RPMs. I know I'll need to replace the two part cat converter soon, but I don't want to spend the money on the part if the Sephia has too many things wrong with it. Could it be the cat converter Can you help me out?David

If the converter clogged it can cause this problem so it sounds like that is what you are dealing with. You can cut if off and run a straight pipe if you do not have emission requirements in your state. You can also remove the oxygen sensor before the converter to see if that helps by relieving the pressure if so replace but I'm pretty sure that is your problem. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I hope this is the problem, because the catalytic converter is quite expensive, and I don't want keep throwing good money after bad. I will go ahead and replace the cat converter. Your service was very fast and clear. If I have any further questions I'll contact you. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your help. David

I would put a straight pipe on the cat just to verify it is the problem, but it sounds like it. Let me know if you need anything else, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thank you
No problem, let me know how it goes. Thanks