Dave, Land Rover Shopforeman
Experience:  Land Rover Master Technican/ASE Master Technican. 12 years Land Rover Experience

wiring problem in my 1996 land rover discovery se7..replacing..bulbs

Customer Question

i seem to be having a wiring problem in my 1996 land rover discovery Se7. 3-4 lights do not turn on when the vehicle is on and replacing the bulbs has already been tried and has failed. What should I do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.
What lights are giving you this problem?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the passanger side tailight, and i believe 3 of the 4 break lights, so you could see how this could be kind of dangerous
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.

Oh yeah no brake lights is not good. Ok well the taillights operate on a different fuse than the brake lights. I would start by checking the fuses under the steering wheel. It looks like fuse #8 is for the right side lights. Also there are only 3 brake lights on your discovery can you verify exactly which lights are not operating?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok, i believe its the center break light and then the passenger side doesnt work.

Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.

Ok lets start with the center brake light first, since it is easier to access. remove the bulb socket and look closely at it for any discoloration or burn marks, also remove the bulb and inspect the metal tabs inside the socket, somtimes these can become disformed and loose connection with the bulb. If all that looks good then you will need to use a test light and confirm that you have voltage present to the bulb holder.

Since 2 of the 3 brake lights work the fuse will be good, so we just need to narrow down the problem area and the bulb sockets are usually the next thing to fail with these lights.

Just let me know what you find and we can work tho the issues

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have also been told that the lighting control module also becomes faulty in these cars, would you consider that at all?
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.

Thats a thought but I would be willing to bet the problem is more simple like a connection problem or bulb socket problem.

just an FYI I am heading home for the day, but I will check back once at the house to help further on this problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hm, would you recommend i go take in to a mechanic to check all that stuff?
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.

Yes if your not comfortable with checking those items, then having a mechanic look at them would be best, XXXXX XXXXX been giving your problem some thought and I really dont think it will be a light module problem.

It will most likly be a problem with the bulb sockets or possibly the wiring connections to the light assembly. Let me know if your mechanic needs any information or you have other concerns and I will do what I can to help