Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician

left front drivers side wheel will not move

I was driving this morning and when I made a left turn into my drive way I noticed alot of slack at the end of the steering wheels radius. I tried to drive the car this afternoon and my front drivers side wheel will not move, however, the front passenger side wheel moves fine
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

It sounds as if you may ahve broken a tie rod end. Take a look under the front of the car; you will see the steering rack has a rod (called a tie rod) that extends out to each steering knuckle; when the steering wheel is turned the rack pushes and pulls these rods to make the wheels pivot. If one of your wheels is not turning in response to the steering wheel movement, you will likely find that one of the moveable ball and socket joints aqt the end of this tie rod has come apart.

If this has happened, the tie rod end that broke will need to be replaced,and the others should all be checked to see if they are worn to the point of being unsafe; replace any that show visible signs of movement.

After this repair, a wheel alignment will be needed.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
any idea on a price for ths? 1997 eclipse gs
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

It all depends on what repairs are needed. There are four tie rod ends, an inner and an outer on each side. At least one is broken; at this time you don't know if the other three are in poor condition or not. Also, parts and labor prices vary considerably from one shop to another...

Assuming you need all four, a rough estimate would be:

Inner tie rod ends; NAPA brand part #MRC ES3437 $31.74 each (2 req)

outer tie rod ends; NAPA brand part #MRC ES2347 23.37 each (2 req)

This gives a total for parts of about $110.22

Labor time to change all of them, if needed should be somewhere around 3 hours. Assuming the shop you choose charges around $75 per hour, this would be about $225 in labor.

A wheel alignment will be required after repair; this usually costs about $60

So, total cost for this repair should be somewhere in the neighborhood of $395.22 plus tax if all four tie rods ends need to be replaced.