Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1995 Mitsubishi: highway..reverse leaving the parking garage

Customer Question

Hello, I have a problem with my 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT. A couple days ago, I noticed it when I got off the highway. My car had something wrong when I put it on reverse leaving the parking garage. Then yesterday my car was shaking when I had it on Drive or when I put it in Reverse it comes to a stop. So I had to make sure I drive it back home. I changed the transmission oil because it was filthy and flushed it out then add new transmission oil. I start the car up again & when I press down on the gas pedal then it stalls. Is there a problem with my automatic transmission or is it an engine problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Terry S. Trent replied 4 years ago.
Is the (check engine light) on the dash iluminated?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah when my car shut down on me there was an oil & engine light that came on. After I got the transmission oil flushed out it didn't light up. When I took it to the Mitsubishi dealership, I had a problem with the Defroster Wire (3 indicator lights come on- battery, windshield resevoir, brake) & I think the connection is loose somewhere but they couldn't figure out where. I'm not sure if that's connected to the problem itself?

Well did they retreive any fault codes or test it for faults?

Even if the light went out it wil store failures?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The 3 lights randomly pop on & off like if I were to drive or steer by potholes etc. Then it'll go away but then it comes back on later. The dealership said I have to take it back so they can find the loose wire b/c the test said that everything was fine. Right now, my car is in the garage. I mean turn on the ignition, the engine sounds fine, but the RPM seems like it's way too high or maybe my transmission is bad that I need to change it?

There are some wires that do relate to the Defogger relay and go to the PCM powertrain control module in the system power supply? A wiring issue is always a possibilty?

I would ike to know if hooked to a scanner would it give us any history codes?

I just helped a guy last night that had a no start and it was a power supply issue related the ETACS , TIMER CONTROL MODULE... We cannot just replace parts on this issue, we need t know what the check engine codes are...

I looked at the factory bulletins and didnt find anything conlusive related to this issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have a scanner here with me so I guess I'll have to ask someone to check for me. When I first bought the car last year, the radio/clock lights fade in & out, & then this year it was the wire in the Defogger switch. For now what should I do?
See if you can get me some fault codes or something solid to go on, then we will know which direction to go... Yes the local auto parts store will usualy scan it for (free)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok I'll go to NAPA or Pep Boys today. Thanks for your help!

Perfect, I will try and help resolve this but we need at least a starting point...