Terry S. Trent
Terry S. Trent, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Associates Degree Automotive Technologies
26393954

Land Rover..It runs great - but one evening..parked..next morning

Our 2001 Land Rover Discovery is having a problem with fuel. It runs great - but one evening after it was parked in the yard it would not start. When I went out the next morning it started. Then two weeks later my son was driving it and it stopped, like it ran out of gas - but the tank was full.

Both times I've pumped the gas peddle and it would not start - nor was there a gas smell like I had flooded it.

We had it towed to my local mechanic (not a land rover specialist) He said it started right up but seems to not be getting enough fuel and he thinks it is an electrical problem.

Does this ring a bell as a common ailment for rovers? My son said one day two lights came on when he was driving and the car jumped/jerked a little then ran okay - he couldn't remember what the lights were but as far as we can tell it was the sport light and the engine light. Are the two connectec?
Category: Car
Expert:  Terry S. Trent replied 7 years ago.

Is this vehicle a model II series SE/SD/LE ?

There is a factory bulleting relating to a failure in the software that controls the fuel pump, but I need verify the correct MODEL?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is model II, but we are unsure about the series - we think LE? It does not have heated seats or moon roof's, it also does not have leather seats if that helps with the series.

Ok 1 min... It's a recall not a bulletin, now this may not be relative I am just showing it too you and we will coninue. I am still re-searching this. Contact a dealer and ask (Does this Recall Apply) to my vehicle... I am looking into some other possible causes.

graphic

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/2/2009 at 2:27 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.

I would call the dealer, give them the (VIN Number) vehicle identification number and ask them specificaly if there is an updated computer for this vehicle. All of the bulletins and the diagnostic charts say "the manufacture has released an updated computer" Below is the first lines in the FACTORY REPAIR MANUAL under (trouble shooting)

Tell your mechanic to at least (scan for codes) and get me a failure code ok?

graphic

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/3/2009 at 4:26 PM EST