Terry S. Trent
Terry S. Trent, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Associates Degree Automotive Technologies
26393954

2003 hyundai 1.6lit 5sp/std / various electrical problems

2003 hyundai 1.6lit 5sp/std / various electrical problems: wipers go on when lights are on & go off when brights go on.emergency brake lights stays on & also effects other things rear tail lights stay off . no instument ligths work or radio. No burned out fuses no electrical burning smell. And the lights stay on after turning key off. No control over light switch either , it just stays on.I must remove the battery cable not to kill battery. Very confusing . Is there a main area or box that could be causing all these problems if anyone could solve this one that would be great
Category: Car
Expert:  Terry S. Trent replied 4 years ago.
What is the MODEL? Accent, Elantra?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the model is a Accent GSI, I put in a new battery as the other one was dead :no difference.

The vehicle runs pretty good & these are some of the items that do work normal

Lights( brake, turn signal, hazard,back up) horn, cigarette lighter,interior light

Not sure what else,I'll probably check out a few things this evening

Cool, I will look into this that I have the model...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just checked this evening hooked up the positive wire & sure enough the headlights go on right away . didn't have any time tonight so I just disconnected it
The over head DOME light just stays ilimuniated always?

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/2/2009 at 3:35 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the dome light is not a problem - the headlights stay on without turning them on. I have no control over the headlights at all - they stay on all the time if the battery is hooked up.

One place they all meet is the BODY CONTROL MODULE ... im looking now... It effects exterior lighting, tail lights, wipers, ignition, every single thing you mentioned..

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/2/2009 at 3:55 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is it located on the drivers inside fender by the battery?

Here is BODY CONTROL MODULE and all it controls... It's located BEHIND DASH left of steering column. Disconnect it and see if headlights go out.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is a box about 4" square on the left of the steering column - I disconnected the two wire grouping connections that are connected to the black box but the headlights are still on.

Hmm. ok we continue, there is a DAYTIME RUNNING MODULE too, how many pins lets make sure we got right connector. 2 connectors? I would think its a big silver box ? No it's way bigger than 4" HERE IT IS

graphic

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/2/2009 at 4:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok found the big silver box - there are 2 ports with only one big connector - it has about 20 wires together. I will try to disconnect the large connector plugged into the one port. and see if the headlights stay on. Is there a special way to disconnect the wire grouping?
No its just a push in the (lever) type connector, hehe
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I disconnected it and the lights stay on
Hmm ok, I started there because you said tail lights, wipers on off, etc...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it is very strange the stereo power will cut on and off, the wipers will just start going on without turning them on (although they are controled for speed by the wiper handle - I cannot shut them off by turning them off, the emergency brake light will also come on - I have not been able to determine a pattern.

Ok check these out... Daytime Running Module and Headlight Relay Under Hood... WITH THE HEAD LIGHT SWITCH OFF the yellow wires should have no power at the RELAY or the DRL MODULE

graphic

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/2/2009 at 5:43 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok It is getting pretty late here so I will take a look tomorrow.

Ok I will be on all DAY, I updated the post take a look, I apologize I have been stressed out all dat on difficult problems SO I AM NOT MY USUAL SELF, tomorrow we fix it NP...

The relay is inside passenger relay box left of DASH, but HEADLIGHT SWITCH OFF relay and DRL should have no power.

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/2/2009 at 5:51 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there: just checking all these drawings are they for a 2003 Hyundai Accent GSI

the location for the ETACS module doesn't seem match & is there a name for this module is it body control module, daytime running module ios that the black box under the hood drivers side / Accent GSI not GL or are they the same

Are you in Austraila or UK ? I have Accent GL, GLS or GT ?

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/2/2009 at 6:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope thats a funny question I'm in Canada how about you

Ah, that could make a difference too... I am USA...

Ok so what is the exact model? HYUNDAI ACCENT GL, GLS, or GT

Is this vehicle specificaly for the Canadian market I assume?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we've only owned it for a short period of time so I don,t know the history

All the paperwork says 2003 Hyundai Accent gsi (or GSI) 4 cyl. 5sd/std

1.6 litre or 1600 cc 2 door hatchback approx. 126000 miles/ 202000 kms

There are specific Canadian, Austrailin, US, and even California models that differ somewhat and I only show a GS/GLS version, hmmm....

Ok so under hood (drivers side front) (left front) you do not find the DRL MODULE with YELLOW WIRES in the last diagram I sent you?

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/2/2009 at 7:37 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not @ the vehicle presently however I'll check & get back to you; I'll also do a little more digging myself : Appreciate your help

I'll be tied up for the next while with work & meetings so when I can sneak in for a bit , I will

Take care Mike

Ok, man I dont give up easily...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

heres a twist I found some wires grounding each other in the wiring harness between the battery @ the drivers side headlight . I'm just taking the harness apart to see the extent of the damage & start fixing this stuff first . I'll let you know on my progress in a while

Do you have access to the schematics of the motor IE to change timing belt ?

Take Care Mike

Of course I do...

And that is realy good news on the wiring, note the colors we will see where the lead...

We were working our way to the outside between the head lights and the DRM because we pretty much determined the short was not coming from the interior...

Here is the Timing Belt Layout... If its DOHC, double overhead cam let me know...

graphic

graphic

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/3/2009 at 7:29 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK where do I start ? I'm @ work right now so I'llfill you in as to what I've done.

I don't have the colours with me right now .but if I need them I'llgety them after.

I took apart the harness & found that approx. 10 wires were either melted through or starting to.I've only got about 4 more to repare. I isolated the wires just to see what was working & what wasn't. just patchup left fo wires & retaping of all the harness. But I have to make sure everything is working first

These items were NOT working

left rear clearance light,instrument panel lights,brights indicator on panel , radio/CD player( checked fuses & they seem OK)

The remainder of the electricals seem to be working I'll have to finish up & see

As for the timing belt . It was recommended to be changed. What all has to be removed to get to the belt on the front of the engine. Man I should just call you,I feel like I'm writing a book.

I'm not sure of the history of this vehicle . My son just bought it last week . I could explain some but thats another book . Well hope thats enough for now

Take care Mike -XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Ok, once you get evrything seperated and repaired we will go from there...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks . Is there a few simple checks I could do for the clearance lights & brights indicater switch ? Do they have a common connection& where is it? For the radio is there an inline fuse that could go. I'm wondering this because what I have let to repair is not broken just bare & not touching anything. I haven't checked the bulb in the left rear.
YES my freind get everything fixed and look at the basic light bulbs etc. Since we found a short once repairs are complete and all simple things are inspected we will dig into it more...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hey Terry:

finished patching everything I could . Took the car out for a spin today . These were the results. Bulbs were fine, fuses seem to be fine (unless I missed one) Most of the major things are fine. This is what still doesn't work

All left clearance & side marker lights (front & back)

radio /clock / instrument lights (along with the dimmer control for it) /brights indicator light / rear wiper & pulse wiper (rear sprayer does work) / both rear licence plate lights

There must be a local area where this comes from I hope?

What would you recommend Mike

Ouch, the body computer lists several of them in one of the first diagrams I sent...

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/5/2009 at 5:04 AM EST

Man , I am not trying to bow out gracefully but now that we know for certain there was a short there could be more cooked wiring, blown fusible links, fried computer modules, without me being there to physicaly test this stuff it's way too in depth for e-mail repair.

The body computer does run most timer functions, rear wipers, some interior/exterior lighting it ties alot of what you mentioned is still not working. I mean I can say put a used body control module in, will that fix all of it, good question but at least 3 or more non funtional items are controlled by it or have ties to it. It's too complex to wrap my head around it or for you to test without propper skills and equipment.

Man at this point we better just take this thing to an electrical specialist and spend a couple hundred because it's just too in depth and has too many issues for me to grasp without being there...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your probably right& I appreciate your help.I don't suppose sending you the serial / or VIN # XXXXX the vehicle would help to verify the exact model would it . I'ld like to keep pressing on @ least for the time being. If you could send me whatever info. on these items IE locations of wire contacts etc & also regarding changing timing belt (stuff that must be removed first) Then I guess we'll call it a day

Timing belt removal and installation, you already have the (alignment mark) figures...

graphic

Realays to the HEAD LIGHTS, and REAR Wipers, that should be about it...

graphic

Here is a critical one (fusible) links, they are fuses but they look like regular wires. You will notice them they are usualy RED , ORANGE, GREEN in color and exposed in the wiring harness. They burn like a fuse in the event of a short circut. (look for them) that may be the answer.

graphic

Here are the modules we are dealing with (highleted in red) ETACS is BODY CONTROL MODULE and DRL is DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT MODULE

graphic

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/5/2009 at 6:17 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks . How about the radio & dash/clock lights?

Engine compartment relay fuse box; is that the one by the battery?

One more did we cover the left side clearance lights?

I'll be trying to overhaul most of this tomorrow

Thanks for being patient I'll be done after this

Here is some exterior lighting, all of the exterior lighting is related to the head light switch , daytime module, etc. I think once you find the blown fuse link or the burnt headlight component all this stuff is related, Trial and error is best, XXXXX XXXXX get a test light and just turn key on and start looking for power at some of the lighting and eventualy it will lead you to the problem. Just remmber it looks confusing but usualy a relay or a module or a switch or fuse will contol power to an entire circut so...

I would take a the headlight switch on dash, test for power at the modules just inspecy everythjing smell it for burning etc. And def dont over look the (fuses) since you had a short, with a TEST LIGHT I would tes both sides of eveery fuse in both fuse panels first.

You just ground the test light and touch bot sides of every fuse with key on and head lights on etc. and it should light on both sides of every fuse (that is turned) on...

graphic

The clocock is related to the interior lighting by that *red* wire going through body computer.

graphic

Here is the radio schematic and it does go to the lighting system...

graphic

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/5/2009 at 7:31 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THANKS again Trent . Would you like me to keep you posted or just call back another time with some other future problems I may be having .I'll go to my office in the morning to complete the transaction . Don't have my paypal password XXXXX me .

Thanks for your help Mike

I am not leaving you my freind, nor am I giving up...

Yes 100% I wanna know if it's a single issue like (ETACS) or a fusible link...

The reason I am saying that we may need a master electrician involved at a live shop is based on the complexity of testing and the severity of this issue. I know myself when it's to complex and I need send it to the dealer...

Most issues are corrected by visual inspection of the parts. IE: Vacum lines off, burnt wiring, etc. It's the fact there are so many things not functioning I cannot give you enough testing advice with this system or without physicaly being there, it's just too much...

And money is the last thing I care about, my concern is doing the job first, not getting paid.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Terry :

I'll see what I Come up with today.

Just a note though . When I said the instrument lights & brights indicator lights were not working on the gauges : (all the other indicator lights were. ie ; turn signal , door, rear hatch, emergency brake ,hazard , & so on)

Earlier you had asked if the motor was DOHC (dual overhead cam). I was so pre-occupied with the wiring that I forgot to look. This morning however I did & yes . The valve cover says DOHC 16 valve. I suppose that changes all the timing specs you sent me. Any chance of an update on that ?

I'm just going to print out some of the papers you sent last night & start on some of the items . Should be fun.My son sure appreciates it (a 16 year old )

Just wondering does communication continue once payment has been made or how do communicate ? Either way I'll send the money , or do I just start another account & ask for you. I'll wait for your reply before sending

Thanks Mike By the way its snowing out side take care

Man , my system Mitchell on demand says 1.6 DOHC timing belt but when I click onto it it only shows the diagrams for a SOHC 1.6? I did a little research and I think the DOHC version was not even sold in the US, I knew something was wong from the beginning because the GL/GLS didnt add up.

I realize we found some burnt wiring and i helped but , I think you better re-submit this question to the UK Car category because I feel the UK or Canadian versions are different. In the wiring and everything else most likely it's all wrong, they could be wired the same, but the DOHC changes everything.

I learned a good lesson and I am going to write my Administrator and tell them they need to change the way information is added because its allowing people to enter anything without the correct model, wthout SOHC, man that is frustrating.

I am going to deal with this right now...

I appologize and I know we fixed a few issues but I am not 100% that the wiring or any information I sent you is accurate. (DO NOT PAY FOR THE QUESTION) and (RE-submit the question TO (UK CAR) they have the whole system messed up and I am going to bring this issue up with the magement right now.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

wow thats a twist. And I thought I was persistant . should I wait to see if your successfull with system or should I re-submit my question with all info. saying its from Canada ?

Well I just wrote a huge complaint to the admins on mis-information,...

I had a guy submit just (HONDA) by itself for example this totaly un-acceptable, I told them they neeed to force people to add complete info IE *REQUIRED and add a check box for SOHC [] DOHC [] I mean it's totaly unaceptable in this day and age.

I told them add a check box for Emmisions > Federal [] Canadian [] California []

I mean t's so simple, 90% of the submitions are INCOMPLETE MODEL it;s really frustaing I can have a Hyundai 1.6 SOHC and a Hyundai 1.6 DOHC without even realizing the fact it's not US because the diagnostics are just saying 1.6 liter...

Basicaly yes , just copy and paste origional posting into UK Car

Just add the fact you would like Timing Belt Set-up

Also specify under engine DOHC, hehe

Grrrrrrrrrrrr....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so I guess I'll re-submit & give my specs in Canadian terms or something.

do you think someone else has the canadian version of this stuff? Keep me posted as to how your making out & I'll do the same. I'll re-submit & see what happens ,also I'll keep this line open

Thanks

Hehe, we did solve alot of issues so I did help you... There does seem to be however some confusion about the US market application and no DOHC issue, and yes you can actualy you can help me determine will the UK people have the correct versions of DOHC, etc.

Just tell explain to them the current issue...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK . back to work

Ok, sorry about the poor grammar I was just kinda frustrated with the whole situation and it's partialy my fault. I knew the GLS issue didnt add up but the Accent diagrams are for a 1.6 litre but not a DOHC version.

We still did good dispite the confusion. Most of the basic info like (check fuseable) links is still valid, regardless i gave you good advice and I did do my job, hehe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry about all this , I was hoping the other guy would have sent me the proper diagrams for my vehicle . but he pulled out. at this point if I can get the radio & dash lights working I think I'ld be happy. The radio wire haqs power with the key (red) but not the other hot wire (yellow). Almost time for a tech.

Yes and that Yellow wire looks like it goes to the interior lighting circut... I think..

Beleive me man, I was hoping for a different result myself....

If you want just pay off the first one and we will call it good, we made some huge progress despite the confuson which I am still trying to figure out... In Mitchell on Demand which is the #1 US Diagnostic Software, when i click the link for Accent Timing Belt offers me on the main heading (1.6 litre DOHC) but when I click the link no matter what model I try it only offers timing diagram for SOHC?

I dont know what to say and neither does anyone else.

The only thing is I read online that that certain engines like 2.0 only came with SOHC in the US market and DOHC went to Europe and elswhere... (It could be that the person that owned it bought it overseas or in Europe, something along those lines...

I took it as far as I could , hehe

Regardless, after you talk to a (local) mechanic please let me know the outcome...

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/5/2009 at 11:20 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Terry: Sorry it took so long to get back to you . Worked on the vehicle more last night & had a lot better results. Finished up with the wiring harness & guess what in the fuse box under the hood there was another fuse for audio ( the direct link to the radio) & it was burned out . Must have burned when the harness was starting to melt. Took the car out for a spin today & the only things not working yet were :front left clearance light & brights indicator light THATS a relief . So I think its time to close this ordeal don't you ? I noticed there's 2 accounts on the same thing . How do I close them both ?

Last Question Re: Timing belt The info.

you sent me doesn't really specify anything about the motor mount in the way. Do I have to remove it or work around it ? Also the two pulleys in question just have to be removed with gear puller or what. there's not a whole lot of room on the side there.

Man that diagram was a for an SOHC I thought yours was DOHC? In general most tranverse mounted engines require the motor mount to be removedl in order to get the timing belt off. Once you remove the mount the engine will drop giving you more room to access the gears or pulleys, and they just slide off ususly...

What you do is just put a (floor jack) under the engine to support it then remove the mount...

As far as 2 orders just Accept one or both, or just Accept one and ignore the other and it will dissapeer or I can request it being closed...

I guess all of our work was not in vain and we both learned alot. Honestly I love working on cars and I love the harder problems. Throughout my career I have solved alot of deep mysteries and I never shy away from anything. I know that you are good man and I enjoyed this issue even though it was a little more extreme than most, hehe

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/7/2009 at 12:59 AM EST
Terry S. Trent, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Associates Degree Automotive Technologies
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again I appreciate your help