FixItMan, Master Technician

2001 kia optima: losing power..stop running and will not start back up

Customer Question

I have a 2001 kia optima 2.4 liter. the car has been losing power for some time now. the other day it just stop running and will not start back up. The plugs are getting spark but the clinders are loading up with fuel. although it seems that the two middle clinders are getting more spark than the first and last clinder. I swaped the coil paks with each other and are getting the same results. the timing belt is missing only a few teeth here and there but nothing that would keep the car from running.I have also lined the timeing marks up with the marks on the head. one of the cams will be lined strait up with the mark and the other will be two teeth off. Please help!
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer if the timing marks are not lined up exactly then the cam timing has jumped and is causing a compression problem. THe timing belt will need to be replaced and the cams realigned. Hopefully no engine damage occured because of this.