Terry S. Trent
Terry S. Trent, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Associates Degree Automotive Technologies
26393954

Saab: sedan..button sporadically,even..sport mode, it often switches

Customer Question

I have a Saab 9-5 2003 sedan. Winter mode comes on without pressing button sporadically,even at high speeds 70+. Also, if placed in sport mode, it often switches over to winter mode without doing anything. The only way that winter mode does not pop up is to place it in manual mode and use that.
Can you tell me what is wrong? computer code??
Category: Car
Expert:  Terry S. Trent replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I researched this question in great depth, there are no solid indications or factory bulletins regarding this climate control system or the issue you are describing. This system requires the use of the GM TECH II diagnostic scanner, a high quality volt-oh meter, and a highly qualified techician in order to diagnose the problem. I recomend going to the dealership on this one because it may require re-progamming or updating the AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL Computer system which is only available trough Saab or GM. It's propriatery software meaning Joe's garage wil not have it.

Whom ever works on this vehicle better be very experienced.

It's a highly complex computer contolled unit, this is not a Joe's garage Issue...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So you are saying this is a climate control issue that causes the transmission to switch t winter driving mode, or skip from sport driving mode to winter mode automatically? My car is at a former saab dealer turned auto repair garage right now. I'll see what he says, and if no answer will go to dealer.
Do you know of any great saab garages in Rhode Island that are not a dealership. I hate going to the dealer...get charged lots of money for things that don't warrant it.

Thanks
K

Omg my freind I am so sorry, I thought you were talking about climate control, one minute. As long as your mechanic has a good european or good Saab background you should be ok...

The funny thing is it says the exact same things, it requires a GM TECH II for fault diagnosis and repair, hehe... That Winter/Sport is pretty much a (switch) by itself and it's operated by the (TCM) transmission control module, there are only 2 possiblities pretty much. There are no factory bulletins related to any transmission problems...

SPort/Winter switche\s / TCM transmission control module, that's it.

It even mentions simple adjustments as well...

Haha, I appologize I thought you saying the climate control switches mode....

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/1/2009 at 7:36 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK so it is probably the switch for winter mode? Any idea of cost of replacement of the switch??
Glad you clarified that....I would have sounded like a real idiot had I brought it up to my mechanic.
With Saab potentially going the way of the dinosaurs, I wonder about getting the parts in the future....could be a challenge.
Thanks
K

That is too funny... Yes the mechanic would of said what the ____ you talking about? hehe

I have no estimate on the parts, i have the best system possible and those are dealer only parts for sure. First we need determine what it is. Adjustment, Winter SWitch, or Control unit...

They will simply hook it to the scanner, run diagnostics and boom...

Please let me know...

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/1/2009 at 7:58 PM EST