lnsmman58
lnsmman58, Auto Body Repairer
Experience:  ICAR Certified, A/C Certified, Plastic Repair Certified, 30 Years Experience

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe: my drivers seat..bought the AWD GLS model.

I am in a bit of a pickle. I am looking to extend how far back my drivers seat will go and I have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. I just bought the AWD GLS model. It comes with a manual seat. During my two test drives it seemed fine.

However, I've had the vehicle 2 days now and I feel cramped and am going through extreme back pain I usually only experience when being stuck in small cars.

I'm 6'5'', 250 so the current length just isn't enough in my driver's seat. I also have herniated discs in my back and neck, so sitting for a while while being cramped really causes me a lot of pain.

I've been researching brackets that can be installed to make the driver's seat go back further. I would even pay to have them custom made. Should I go this route, and if so, could anyone help? Or do you think a power seat would do the trick, and if so, can it be switched out for the manual driver's seat I have now?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time.

~Mark Grimaldi
Category: Car
Expert:  lnsmman58 replied 4 years ago.

Please be sure you are 100% satisfied with my answer before you hit accept! Bonuses and postive feedback is much appreciated!

Hi Mark I'm Scott,

Coming from the body work end of the business I have ran into this a few times. I think one of your best options would be to contact some of your local bodyshops and see if they will either make you some brackets to extend your seat back and get them installed for you. As far as the power seat having more room, I'd go down to the dealer and drive one, if infact you feel the power seat has more room I think I'd consider going that route. But I would go down and see if there is any difference, in most cars there really is much difference in leg space its just that its power and not manual. Let me know if you have other questions ok?

Scott

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am scheduled to go down to the dealership in about an hour. I am going to drive one with a power seat. To go up one package to the power seat is makes the Santa Fe cost $26,500 instead of $24,500. With my back problems the difference would be worth it if I'm comfortable.

My question is, would it be just as good or better, yet less expensive, to get brackets put into the one with the manual seat?

Also, is it possible to put brackets into vehicles with both manual seats and power seats? Or just one or the other?

Lastly, does putting brackets in void the warranty? I have a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty I don't want to void. I also don't want to put myself in danger by not being in line with the airbags if the seat is moved back.

Please answer each of the questions above if you can.

Thanks Scott,

Mark

Expert:  lnsmman58 replied 4 years ago.
Actually depending on the configuration of the vehicle it may or maynot be possible to even make some kind of bracket, that will depend on what they find when they look at it. If they can then yes they can do both seats. I do think it would affect the warranty if an issue came up with that particular part of the vehicle. Like you said it more money for the upgraded Santa Fe, but I'm hoping it has more room for you because that is defineitly your best option here. That way there will be no safety or warranty issues. Putting brackets in changes the whole seat belt and air bags system, so actually finding a vehicle that fits stock is your best option. The vehicles I have done this on were much older and didn't deal with safety issues like the new ones.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately the my Salesperson just called me back and said not only would it be $3,000 to move up to the next option, but they would charge me an additional $2500 because they now consider my vehicle used! I've had it two days and have driven it less than 80 miles! Its the same exact vehicle?! I don't understand. I really feel like I was misinformed.

Do I have any course of action? What do you recommend?

Thanks for any help in advance Scott,

Mark

Expert:  lnsmman58 replied 4 years ago.

Hmmmm, most dealers give you a tradeup option for the first few days. I don't know the laws where you are, but here in utah you have 3 days to backout of a deal unless stated as a "as is, no return" contract. You may contact your local Better business bureau or possibly your state business licensing division and see where you stand. One thing you could try is going over your salesman's head, ask to talk to the manager of the place and trying discussing it with him, he just might make a consession in your case. I'm sorry to hear you go through this, it must be flustrating as heck! If infact you are stuck with the vehicle you may have no choice but to see if someone can get the seats back a bit. There is a very slim possibility that there may be a stop or something in the track system that can be modified to get you just a touch more room. Gosh I hope this has helped you out, let me know if you want to talk more.

Scott

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am hoping I don't have to go to the Manager but I'm planning on it if necessary.

Two other quick questions, you've been very helpful by the way so thank you Scott.

1. Is it possible to buy an "after market" power seat and have my seat taken out and that one put in? If so, how much could something like that run me?

2. I read on an auto forum that the previous generation Santa Fes had small metal tabs on each seat rail that could be grinded off and then the seat would move back two more notches? Heard of anything like this? (My only fear with this is that it would again void my warranty).

Thanks,

Mark

Expert:  lnsmman58 replied 4 years ago.

Hey Mark,

Thats exactly what I meant back in our last message, except I called it a "stop". A body shop would be the place to take it, they should be able to pull the seat and grind or cut the stop off, a very simple thing to do. I'm not sure how it affect the track, but its defineitly the most feaseable fix by far to start with. 2 more notches just might do the trick. I don't find any custom full seat assemblies at all, just custom fabric covers. You just might be able to tackle it if you are mechanically inclined at all? There should be 4-6 screws holding the seat in, I'm sure there is a electrical plug to undo. After you get it loose, you carefully lift it out the side door. Then you can flip it upside down and work the tracks to see where the tracks stops are. Anyways, just a thought. You left me know where you want to go with it from here ok. I hope all is well in your world! "Well besides this dang car!"

Scott

lnsmman58, Auto Body Repairer
Experience: ICAR Certified, A/C Certified, Plastic Repair Certified, 30 Years Experience