Terry S. Trent
Terry S. Trent, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Associates Degree Automotive Technologies

1999 montero sport: squeal..Ihave to tighten the alternator belt

1999 montero sport, squeal noise when I start up the engine. Was told Ihave to tighten the alternator belt. Howdo I do that?
Category: Car
Expert:  Terry S. Trent replied 6 years ago.

Ok look at the diagram, the (tensioner pulley) you loosen not remove completely the bolt for the pulley. Then behind the pulley you will see a 13-14 millimeter bolt head. Turn it (clock wise) to tighten alt belt.

I think the bolt head might be accesed from the top, but it may be below the pulley and done from the bottom? Use a flashlight to identify the adjuster bolt head you will know it when you see it. It;s for certain almost touching the pulley in a little bracket.

You do not want it super tight , just tigfhten it till you get about a a 1/8 inch of play , it should feel pretty tight. Then you re-tighten the addjuster pulet nut. That's it...