Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  13 years of experience, Factory training for Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Saturn
14297198

2003 Accent: Hatchback..disassemble..hatch to replace the tag lights

I have a 2003 Accent Hatchback. Do I really need to disassemble the hatch to replace the tag lights? Don't want to get pulled over again but I doubt that I'd be happy at paying retai. I have plenty of tools . . .
Hello, while you do have to remove the interitor trim panel it's not too difficult, it's held on by 8 screws and 1 bolt, once it's removed you can access the license plate lamps. I've included an illustration below showing it's location.

graphic
If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Cool, I have a pretty good descrption of the process found elsewhere. In fact, here it is.

You have to remove the access panel that covers the lamps and the wiper control. Remove the phillips screws along the bottom of the panel (closest to the floor of the trunk when the lid is closed). Then remove the two screws that hold the brackets onto which the two strings are linked which are used to raise the rear deck slightly when the trunk opens. Next, there is a small cover underneath the rear wiper (about 2 inches square) that you need to carefully pry off using a small flat head screw driver via the indents on the lower side of the plastic cover. Inside you will find a 10mm bolt; use a ratchet to remove the bolt. Next, using a small flat head screw driver, carefully pry the middle section of moulding between the panel you are removing and the molding that covers the top portion of the back glass. There are two clips at the base of each middle moulding piece closest to the panel you are removing. Once those pop free, grab the panel at the bottom and firmly but gently pull away from the car body to pop free the two retaining clips holding the moulding to the car body. Finally, use one hand to grasp the panel from the bottom and the other to help help slide the panel "up" towards the glass (top of the car). The panel's top is flanged, and must slide up and away from the lip on which it sits. With the panel removed, grasp the white socket that holds the bulb and with gentle pressure turn it counter clockwise about 40 degrees and then pull the socket out. The replacement bulb is a type 168. Reverse these instructions to assemble, making sure in the end to push all retaining clips back into place until you hear them "catch" and hold the panel firm;y against the car body so that you do not get vibration noise.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Josh, did you see my previous reply? I'd just like your opinion on how accurate it is . . .