Terry S. Trent
Terry S. Trent, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Associates Degree Automotive Technologies

Hello i have a defender 90 td .

Customer Question

Hello i have a defender 90 td . i have a problem , I am gettig oil in my air filter this doesnt seam to be comming from the turbo because no all in rubber pipes , There is oil coming in throught the breather pipe from the top of the engine , The landrover will be on tick over and for now reason rev very high and alot of smoke then will run ok for a while , The problem seams to be getting worse I spoke to a friend he think turbo , but i dont under stand if the turbo was feed oil to air filter why the pipes have no oil in them , just wouldering if you could help
thanks carl
Category: Car
Expert:  Terry S. Trent replied 6 years ago.

Hello, does your DIESLE have the (OIL SEPERATOR) or (PCV FILTER) set-up for crankcase ventilation?

My techical documentation is not 100% clear on which system it uses. (PCV) is used on DEISLE ENGINES (POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION) which will cause the exact symptom you describe.

It looks like it may have a (PCV) valve filter #2 that can cause oil consumtion or an (OIL SEPERATOR) #3 that is allowing oil into the air filter housing. One or the other should only allow crankcase (vapors) and not oil. Take a look at these systems, you see the hose that goes to the air cleaner housing is where the oil is being sucked in or #2 you see the PCV Air Filter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hell the engine oil cap seal has gone on the oil cap could this be the problem i think this has a seperature on it

Yes my freind this problem is in the (PCV) system (POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION) or the OIL SEPERATOR SYSTEM.

That system is only suppose to allow only fuel vapors to pass through, not engine oil...