danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.

1998 Mazda 626 lx: 2.5L..Auto Trans..hum of the fuel pump can be heard

Customer Question

My 1998 Mazda 626 LX 2.5L w/Auto Trans will not start. When the key is turned to the 1st position, the hum of the fuel pump can be heard. When the key is turned completely, the car tries desperately to start, but the engine will not turn over & eventually runs down the battery. This problem has occurred over the last 5 years - the 1st 2 years with the problem occurring sporadically - the next 2 years with absolutely no problems - and finally the last year with the car completely disabled.

My very gifted mechanic could never experience the problem. The Mazda dealer was confused. Then after 1 year with no problems, I sent the car to my Mom and the problem started all over again. My Mom's mechanic recently convinced her to replace the fuel pump. I was very skeptical - he was absolutely confident. Within 2 days the problem was back, the mechanic was stumped and quickly became very unhelpful and unresponsive (though he happily kept my $730)!

Can anyone help?
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
With the fuel pump helping for two day's my thoughts go to fuel pressure reg. But all these things can be checked. The most frustrating repair is a short and can act up any time. I would suggest checking harness to fuel pump and also wiggleing while ohming out hatrness
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My very gifted mechanic was very thorough checking all aspects of the fuel system during the first 2 years I experienced this problem. After spending too much money and time combing the internet for the last 5 years, I'd like an answer from someone who has actually seen and resolved this problem. In fact, this website (justAnswer) indicated my problem was assigned to "Super Mechanic" with 30+ years of Mazda experience when processing my charge.
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
I wil opt out and try to send your question over to him now.

Edited by danny on 12/1/2009 at 4:09 PM EST