Terry S. Trent
Terry S. Trent, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Associates Degree Automotive Technologies

2007 Azera, purchased in january..dissatisfied with the ride.

I have a 2007 Azera, purchased in January with 22K miles on it. I now have 36K. I am very dissatisfied with the ride. It seems very harsh on even the smallest bumps. I'm embarassed to give people a ride in it. I purchased the car because Consumers Reports said it had a quiet and comfortable ride. Except for the tire hum, that is only true on the smoothest roads. The tires are Michelin MXV 4 tires and I think they may be the reason the ride is harsh. So I'm interested in getting a new set of tires that will give a quiet, smooth comfortable ride. Can you recommend a tire that can do that? I love the car except for the ride, my 1989 Ford Festiva gives me a more comfortable ride on rough roads. Even new tires don't improve the ride, then I'm ready to part with the car.
Thanks for your time and consideration.
Don Ratzlaff
Marion, IA
Category: Car
Expert:  Terry S. Trent replied 4 years ago.

Hello...

The manufacture recomends 30 PSI front and rear and if you alter the pessure too much it may cause problems with the inflation warning system on the vehicle...

Just because it came with Michelin doesn't mean you will like the ride, it just means Hyundai got a good deal on tires...

I am doing some research on tires are yours 16 or 17 inch? And do they have metal or rubber valve stems?

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/1/2009 at 4:33 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Terry, Hang on a minute, I will go and check. I thought it had a TPMS since its a limited, but I'll check and be right back. Oh, I forgot to mention, the rear shocks have been changed out in an attempt to improve the ride. O.K. I just checked and it does have rubber valve stems.

Don

I read some Mercedes forums and one guy said that Michelins are like riding on a skateboard... hehe

There is a factory bulletin on (front shock) knocking noise but that's it...

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/1/2009 at 4:41 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The car has 17 inch tires.

Don

You know I looked at the Diagnostics chart for rough ride under supension and it mentions inspect the front shocks for leaks, etc.and there is a Factory bulletin on front shocks. Is just changing the tires going to make for a completly softer ride given the fact the STRUTS/SPRINGS themselves have alot more control of firmness of ride than tires.

Hmmm... It's a very difficult question and a potentialy costly decision.

Theres a fine line between softness and bouncing up and down but softer front struts would probably be a better investment than tires as long as you clarify this with the shop you intend to replace them. You also have to consider weather, wear, handling, that's the b-tch with tires.

Supposedly Michelins are quiet and soft, I beleive it's the strut assembly firmness more than the tire. You can run them under inflated a couple pounds but I feel it's the physical suspention that needs to be changed.

Honestly I would check out like GoodYear for soft compound tires but weather conditions, tread life, expense, etc. you have figure in...

I am in Oregon btw///

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 12/1/2009 at 5:23 AM EST
Terry S. Trent, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Associates Degree Automotive Technologies
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Terry, I am leaning toward Goodyear. Especially since they responded with a recommendation where as Michelin only provided a phone number.

Thank you.

I am glad you are happy, that was not a simple question at all...