Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
5624692

6 Mazda: under load..type noise..Only happens for 5-10 minutes cold.

Customer Question

Have a 06 speed 6 Mazda, in the morning I get a grunt sound from the front when starting out, seems to be as the engine torques under load as I let the clutch out. it not a clutch type noise. Only happens for 5-10 minutes cold.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

First, congrats on owning a sweet car!

Does it make this noise everytime you start from a stop for the first 5-10 minutes?

How many miles on the car?

Recent repairs?

How long does the noise last?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX can get it to repeat every time if I let the clutch out and load the engine. About 33k miles. No recent repairs. Mostly happens after sitting over night, on drive away and next few starts until warmed up, after that no more noise. Had at dealer could not find problem. They (dealer) think it may a problem with one of the exhaust gaskets at the flex joint.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 5 years ago.

On a cold start can you try this tomorrow.....

Start from a stop the way you normally would then use the ebrake to stop the car and listen for the noise. Do this a few times to see if the noise continues or disappears. I have seen some weird noises come from the brakes on first startup... not particullary on the Speed6 as I don't see very many of them. But I have seen it on the regular 6 and the 3. This will help us eliminate a possible source of the noise.

The exhaust donut is another possibility... but lets check the brakes first.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ed, it sounds like I was not clear on the when the noise happens, try this, cold start, shift into 1st gear, slightly rev engine, letting clutch out now as engine reacts to load/torque thats when the grunt noise happens. So if I am rolling 2-5 mph in 1st gear and let the clutch out the noise happen mostly everytime, depress the clutch so I could repeat this 5 or 10 times until it get warmed up. Does this still sound like a brake problem?
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 5 years ago.

Nope! Does it make the sound in reverse?

Try a couple free spirited accelerations in reverse and then go into 1st and listen for a change in the noise. Typically if the exhaust donut is making the noise the reverse accel will help to reseat it and may temporarily remove the noise.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good question, I'll have to try it tomorrow. Any other areas that may cause this noise?

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 5 years ago.
Well, the next step would be to remove the drive belt temporarily to see if it is an engine driven accessory causing the problem.