Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2004 Nissan Altima: a cold or normal operating tempature situation.

On this 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 the P/S system mometarily has no P/S at times. This a cold or normal operating tempature situation. I felt it both ways. Last week I flushed the fluid and refilled it with new Nissan fluid. I also replaced the belt because I tested the tensioner which was normal and decided to install a new belt. My customer (Aunt) took it to a Nisaan dealer and they could not find this intermitant problem either. They nor I have a pressure testing system for this car. This car only has 13,800 miles on it! I am undecided as what to do next. PS, this is a relatives car that seldomly gets out of our town. My 31 years of repairing tells me it's probaly the rack, but than I look at the mileage and shake my head no. Thanks for answers! JJ
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

You are most correct! I would definitely agree with you. It may be the rack and pinion going bad. THis does happen from time to time. Especaily intermittently. THis would indicate a bad rack and pinion. However, also check the steering shaft from the steering wheel to the rack and pinion. sOmetimes these u joints stiffen up causing what seems to be hard or no power steering. This is also common on these vehicles. The U joints go bad in the shaft and causes this problem.

Check the lower joint and shaft assembly to see if the joint/knuckle is binding

Potential Causes:

Rack and pinion

Steering Column Knuckle

Power steering pump

Power steering belt slipping.