Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

2006 mazda: wont start..it has no compression..half tank

my 2006 mazda3 wont start. it turns over but sounds like it has no compression. car has half tank. fuses are good. what do you think? car has38000 miles
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
hello!
Although it would be a premature failure if the car only has 38000 miles on it, the most likely cause of no compression would be a broken or jumped timing belt.
You may want to start by checking to see if the camshaft is turning when the engine is cranking over. If not, the belt has failed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

how do i check if the cam shaft is turning. i was looking for a distributor to see if rotor was torning but i couldnt find it

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how do I check if the cam shaft is turning.I was looking for a distributer to see if the rotor was turning but i couldn't find it.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.

Apologies; when I got to work this morning and had access to my information service again, I have realized that your engine does not have a timing belt; the 2.0 engine used in that model is a chain driven design.

Are you positive that the engine has no compression?

Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
I have not heard back from you; have you gotten your Mazda running?