Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My car is burning coolant with no leaks it runs fine.

my car is burning coolant with no leaks it runs fine.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
If you are going through coolant with no leas then your headgasket is allowing fluid to go in the combustion chamber causing it to burn out the exhaust unless you have a slow external leak you have not noticed. You an get a cooling system pressureizer from your local parts store and pressurize the system to watch for external leaks or pull a spark plug and look for coolant leaking into the combustion chambers. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is it safe to keep driving with a blown headgasket and what could i have done to prevent this from happening.is it worth getting fixed 1994 geo prizm 194,000 miles.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
If he car isnt overheating I wouldnt worry about it otherwise it costs about $900 to repair....but you really arent going through coolant that fast or overheating so I would leave it alone. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can the car stop on me and how far should i drive.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
The cars shouldnt stop on you just keep an eye on the temp guage and coolant level. You may also want to inspect the oil to see if its getting milky/watery if so this means coolant is getting into the oil and you would want to replace the oil before it gets too bad. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i checked my oil and it looks good not milky.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Then you are fine....the coolant is just blowing out of the exhaust so nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on the coolant. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can the motor blow on me or just keep putting coolant in the radiator.thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
The motor could blow even if you werent going throug coolant, sometimes its just the luck of the draw but if you do not have coolant in your oil and its not overheating you dont need to worry about that causing the problem and you should be safe to keep driving it as you have been, just watch the coolant level. Thanks