Terry S. Trent
Terry S. Trent, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Associates Degree Automotive Technologies
26393954

I need to know how to line up the timing on my 98 mazda protege

Customer Question

I need to know how to line up the timing on my 98 mazda protege 1.5L DOHC. There are a bunch of marks on the camshaft gears and i cant figure out which ones to align.
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 4 years ago.

Here is Mazda Timing Marks for timing

See if this helps

click below

TIMING MARKS

TIMING BELT

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i cant open that pdf
Expert:  Lurch replied 4 years ago.

Here is diagrams

TIMING MARKS:

graphic

TIMING BELT:

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok so the info you gave me is for a single over head cam. The 98 mazda protege 1.5L i own is a Dual over head cam with a belt not a chain.
Expert:  Lurch replied 4 years ago.

Please read & understand the above procedures, as that is directly out of the:
1998 Mazda Protege L4-1489cc 1.5L DOHC MFI Manual
Which is a DOHC

One Cam is Chain driven, one Cam is Belt driven

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
both of the cams on this car are belt driven. Timing belt starts at the crank moves past a idler pully, over 1 camshaft pully, over another camshaft pully, past the tensioner, and back to the crank. Helpfull tip when i bought the timing belt the car store asked me for the vin of the car because there was a change in the belt size. last 6 of the vin is 224123.
Expert:  Lurch replied 4 years ago.

Please verify Year, Make, Model & Engine.........

1.5 has always been Chain & Belt DOHC

Your description sounds like a 1.8???

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1998 Mazda Protege LX 1.5L DOHC 16-valve I-4 engine. That info is right of the window sticker. All the info in chiltons manual makes me believe its a 1.8L too, but i dont think it is. I think that mazda may have used the same head on the 1.5 and 1.8 that year. If it is a 1.8 head i still do not know where to line up the marks. I cant just hope the 1.8 timing marks line up. I am goin to go and make sure the vin on the title and the # XXXXX the motor are the same. This has been making me crazy for days now, even my local mazda dealer wont answear my question.
Expert:  Lurch replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the problems.
The only other thing I can think of is if this is an Import / Canada vehicle

Here is the 1.8, see if this is what you have

1.8 TIMING

Or

1.8 TIMING:

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is an import. Right from Japan to John Holtz Mazda Rochester, NY.
Expert:  Lurch replied 4 years ago.

Did you view the above 1.8?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yep looked at the diagram for the 1.8. My head does not have the ridges behind the spockets or pullys to line up the I and the E.
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 4 years ago.
Hi! sorry about the above answer, and I can definetly help.
Each one of your cams has a notch in it.
The notches point downward towards a "x type casting" in the front cover. The notches should line up with the lines in the front cover that stand up, so the cam sproket notch on the left (looking at the engine) should be about in the 4:30 o'clock position, while the one on the right should be in about the 7:30 o'clock position. Will make more sense once you roughly align the notches to see the only lines on the cover that match up.
Next, the crank notch should be at exactly the 12'oclock position, and the line behind it should be more obvious.
Hope you found this information helfpul, if so, an accept is highly appreciated (gives me credit.)
Thanks so much,
Nick.
A couple more tips, the "E" for exhaust will line up with the line on the left, left meaning looking at the timing marks directly (your left) and the "I" for intake will be on the right, with possibly an I directly on the mark for the timing cover.
Found you a picture to help too.
http://www.fixya.com/uploads/Images/748B22E.gif
Just click on the link
Once again, hope you found this answer helpful,
and that accept button is very important to me if you feel I have helped.
Thanks again,
Nick.

See given answer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
neither one of you guys answerd the question i asked. would you line up marks for a 1.5 to the specs for a 1.8? so here is the story from mazda, sproket change late in 98 from one sprocket and a gear plus chain to 2 sprockets. hence my remarks about the vin# XXXXX the differnt sized belt. Intake (I) on left sprocket Exhaust (E) on the right marks line up, the marks below are just in case you get the sprockets backwards.
I will opt out as well so another expert can better help you,
I am sorry about the misunderstanding.
Thanks, Nick.
Expert:  Terry S. Trent replied 4 years ago.

In found these marks for a 99 Protege , in 1998 they did not even offer a DOHC for PROTEGE. Now do not get upset I am just trying to help save this one. 1999 is the year they offered a DOHC engine.

graphic

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 11/26/2009 at 7:32 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you trent that is the right info. i know for a fact because i talked to mazda the was a change late in 98 in anticipation for the 99 model. the image you gave is what i need 3 days ago. i dont know what to do in this situation. 3 guys have helped, all have spent time on this but i got the answear for myself so who should the 13 bux go to?

THEY OPTED OUT BRO

I saved the question, you simply put (ACCEPT) by my answer...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, hehe

Terry S. Trent, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Associates Degree Automotive Technologies