david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

Removing and Replacing Fuel Pump On 2001 Mazda 626

Customer Question

Could you please tell me how to remove and replace a fuel pump for 2001 mazda 626 safely?
Category: Car
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

The fuel pump relay for the 626 2.0L engines is located In the under hood fuse box.
It should be marked ether on the led of next to the relays.
graphic

An easy way to see if the fuel pump is working.
Turn the key to second position you should hear the pump come on for about 3 seconds.

The fuel pump is located in the fuel tank so to replace you need to remove some if not all of the fuel.

Fuel Pump
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
  1. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Drain the fuel from the tank.
  4. Loosen the fuel tank retaining clamps.
  5. Remove or disconnect the following:
    • Hoses from the fuel tank
    • Fuel pump electrical connector
    • Fuel tank heat shield
    • Fuel tank support brackets by supporting the fuel tank
    • Fuel tank
    • All fuel hoses from the fuel pump unit
    • Fuel pump ring by turning counterclockwise
    • Fuel pump and gaskets from the fuel tank
Exploded view of the fuel pump assembly
graphic

1. To install:

2. Install or connect the following:
    • Fuel pump using a new gasket
    • Fuel pump ring by turning it clockwise until the flange hits the stopper
    • Fuel hoses to the fuel pump
    • Fuel tank
    • Fuel tank support brackets
    • Fuel tank heat shield
    • Fuel pump electrical connector
    • Hoses to the fuel tank
    • Fuel tank retaining clamps
    • Negative battery cable
  3. Add a minimum of 10 gallons of fuel to the tank and check for leaks.
Hope this helps
Good luck