Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

2009 Hyundai Accent: a grinding noise comng..wheel bearing

I have a 2009 Hyundai Accent. We recently noticed a grinding noise comng from the Front DS wheel. We determind this is probably the wheel bearing. Now just yesterday, as I started coasting down our street (on a hill) there was a very loud clunking along with the grinding. It does nto seem to be a constant or repatative (like same spot in roatation).

I have taken off the wheel and did not see any grease, all boots looks okay from what I could see and did not see anything in the wheel either.

I can hear the grinding when I manually trun teh wheel when jacked up but not the clunking.

I am wondering if the bearing is just really goen that its making this sound or if tehre is another problem?
hello, how many miles do you have on the car?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Around 35,000 km

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is still very low. I need to check some things. While I am doing that, is the car under warranty where you are? do you live in a rainy area etc?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I believe that there is warrentee on the car, however I do not believe that this will be covered as about a year ago we hit a curb that bent a rim. No problems presented themselves though until about 3 weeks ago after replacing the rim. The dealership are the ones that confirmed the the original grinding was the bearing and indicated that it would not be covered under warrentee due to the hitting of the curb.

And yes, we do live in a rainy area. Vancouver, BC.

Sorry to hear that. With that in mind, yes you can very easily have a bearing / hub that has been failing over time. usually when a bearing is jarred like this, one of the bearing balls inside get dimpled and then tend to wear on the race till eventually, all the grinding, popping and noise. below are instrcuctions but it does require specail tools as the bearing is pressed into the hub. I own an Accent, a little older but even mine has had front bearings already. they were not a real "strong" design

1. Raise the vehicle and remove the wheel& tire assembly. Tightening torque Nm (kgf-m, lb-ft): 90 - 110 (9 - 11, 65 - 80)
  2. Remove the caliper assembly (A) from knuckle (B) and suspend it with wire.

1. Remove the split pin (A), castle nut (B) and washer from the front hub assembly (C).

1. Remove the wheel speed sensor (A) from the knuckle (B).

1. Disconnect the tie rod end ball joint (A) from the knuckle using a special tool (09568 - 4A000).

1. Remove the ball joint assembly mounting bolt (A) from the knuckle.

1. Remove the strut assembly mounting bolts (A).

1. Remove the hub and knuckle as an assembly. CAUTION: Be careful not to damage the boot and tone wheel.

1. After removing the fixed screws(A) mounting the brake disc(C), remove the brake disc(C) from the hub(B).

1. Remove the snap ring(A).

1. Install the special tools (09517-29000.9517-21500) as shown in illustration below.

1. Separate the hub from the knuckle by turning nut(A) of the special tool (09517-21500).
  2. Using a plastic hammer, remove the dust cover from the knuckle.
  3. Remove the bearing inner race(B) from the hub(A) using the special tool (09495-33000).

1. Using the special tools (09495-33100.9517-29000), remove the wheel bearing outer race(A) from the knuckle(B).

Wheel Bearing Check

1. Raise the vehicle until the front tires are off the floor. Make sure the wheels are in a straight forward position. NOTE: Make sure the wheel rotates freely and that the brake pads are retraced sufficiently to allow free movement of the tire and wheel assembly. Spin the tire by hand to check the wheel bearings for roughness.

1. Grip each front tire at the top and bottom and move the wheel inward and outward while lifting the weight of the tire off the front wheel bearings.

1. If the tire and wheel (hub) is loose on the spindle, does not rotate freely, or has a rough feeling when spun, carry out one of the following. On vehicles with inner and outer bearings, inspect the bearings and races for wear or damage. Adjust or install new bearing and races as necessary
  2. Check the hub for cracks and the splines for wear.
  3. Check the brake disc for scoring and damage.
  4. Check the knuckle for cracks.
  5. Check the bearing for cracks or damage.

1. Apply multi-purpose grease to the contacting surface of the knuckle hub and bearing thinly.
  2. Using the Special Tool (09532-11500), press-in the bearing to the knuckle.
    1. Install the snap ring. NOTE:
    • Press-in the outer race of the wheel bearing to prevent damage to the bearing assembly.
    • When installing a bearing assembly, always use a new one.
    • The right and the left bearings must be replaced as a matched set.

1. Using a plastic hammer, install the dust cover.
  2. Press-in the hub to the knuckle. Press fit load: 20 - 25 KN (2000 - 2500 kgs) NOTE: Press-in the inner race of the wheel bearing to prevent damage to the bearing assembly.
  3. Tighten the hub and the knuckle to the specified torque using the Special Tool (09517-21500).

1. Measure the hub bearing starting torque,

1. If the starting torque 0 Nm (0 kg-cm, 0 lb-ft) , measure the hub bearing axial play.

1. If the hub axial play exceeds the limit while the nut is tightened to 200 - 260 Nm (20 - 26 kgs-m, 145 - 188 lb-ft) , the bearing, hub and knuckle are not installed correctly. Repeat the disassembly and assembly procedure. Hub bearing axial play [Limit] 0.008 mm (0.0003 in) or less
  2. Remove the Special Tool.
  3. Fix the brake disc with the mounting screws.

1. Installation is the reverse of removal. CAUTION: The washer (B) should be assembled with convex surface outward when installing the castle (A) nut and split pin (C).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Other than the bearing, what else could the noice be cause by?

be sure the backing plate is not bent slightly and rubbing against the back of the rotor. You can push on backing plate while spinning by hand to see if noise goes away. If so, bend further back. lastly, we can not rule out an axle assy. the CV joint on that side could be going bad from hitting the curb.the boots may be ok but the joint inside may be tight. You need to go to parking lot, starte makeing real tight turns slowly in both directions. keep windows open. If you hear a "clacking sound" this would indicate axle shaft
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. How do you tell if you should not be driving the car anymore? The clunking is real loud and we are worried that something like the wheel might fall off or something. Is it safe to drive? Would you recommend just getting it towed to the repair shop?
Good question. my answer, by your description and concern, get it to a shop. Surely do not wnat something locking up, falling off etc. i thinks the time has come. Towing,? you may save the $ if a shop is close by. just drive it over. If far away, then consider towing. I wish you all the luck with this and hope things turn out well. thanks for contacting us