mike
mike, bmw master tech
Experience:  ase certified.. bmw master tech
13313167

Where and What is the Oil Control Valve on a 2004 Hyundai Elantra.

Customer Question

Where and What is the Oil Control Valve on a 2004 Hyundai Elantra. What happens if it goes bad and how do you change it.
Category: Car
Expert:  mike replied 4 years ago.

Hi here is a pic bolts to front of engine. Did you check with the dealer? as this part may be covered under the powertrain warranty? Should be 1 10mm bolt and it pulls off. May cause oil not to get to the top end fully if it completly fails. Thanks mike

6.Remove the heater hoses (A).

7.Remove the engine wire harness connectors and wire harness clamps from the cylinder head and the intake manifold.
(1)OCV(Oil control Valve) connector(A).
(2)Oil temperature sensor connector(B).
(3)ECT(Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor connector(C).
(4)Ignition coil connector(D).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Car has 142,000 Miles.

Dealer said the OCV controls the cam timing.

Dealer said that it is sludeged up and so the heads will have to be removed and sent. out for cleaning to the tune of $1300.00.

Car runs great but check engine light is on.

Will desludging the engine help?

Is there a filter or screen that may need cleaned?

Thanks

Expert:  mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi ok that many miles not covered. Yes the valve plays a part in the timing. But if the head is all sludged up then there is more than just a ocv problem. Just putting in a new valve then will not fully fix the issue. did theyb remove the valve cover and show you the sludge? if it is bad then it will need to be repaired. But $1300.00 sounds high. We have bought used engines for $ 650.00 with 70,000 miles on them then labor you are not much more than what they want. Thanks mike
mike, bmw master tech
Experience: ase certified.. bmw master tech
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They didn't take off the valve cover. They just did the computer diagnostics. Will running Gumout engine desludger through it a couple of times help? Is there a filter or screen?
Expert:  mike replied 4 years ago.
You can try to use the gumout. without removing the valve cover you can not say the engine is sludged up. There is a screen on the oil pump. On the valve not sure as they are different between the years cant remember them all. Sounds like I would do the gumout desludge. Then replace the valve and see how it goes. Thats what I would do first. Not sure why they are saying all sludged up when they really did not look at it. Thanks mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
At first the service manager said they had to remove the valve cover. The mechanic said they didn't have a gasket so the service manager said well we need to do some more checking and I will let you know. Then he came back and told me the engine was sludged up and they would have to send the head to a machine shop and it was going to cost $1,300.00. I just asked for my keys and left. They charged me an hour of diagnostic time $95.00 to check the code. I watched him and he only worked on it for about 10 min.

Thanks! Jeff
Expert:  mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok I would not go back there. I would just try the flush and replace the part needed. mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks! I bought the car there. I also bought a Hyundai Sonata from them a year later. Both have been great cars but I think the service department is a rip off. You have been very helpful!
Expert:  mike replied 4 years ago.

Thanks and good luck. Its dealers like that. That give all other dealers a bad rap.

Thanks mike