Terry S. Trent
Terry S. Trent, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Associates Degree Automotive Technologies
26393954

1990 Suzuki Sidekick: rough Idle and cuts..rotor..EGR valve..injector

Customer Question

1990 Suzuki Sidekick with rough Idle and cuts at High RPMS - I changed the Distributor cap and rotor, Plugs. I cleaned the EGR valve and ports. THe injector sprays a stedy stream of fuel in the Carb.
Any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  Terry S. Trent replied 5 years ago.

Did you pull the spark plug wires and look to see if they are covered in oil or water>?

Its comon for those to leak oil or water into the spark plug chamber causing a miss-fire?

Let me know...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The park plug wires look very clean and like new.
Is the check engine light on by chance? I was researching another problem sorry for the semi- slow response...

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 11/18/2009 at 2:50 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The check engine light is on.
Aha, run down to the nearest auto parts store and have them read the code for free and then we will go from there... If the code is like OXYGEN SENSOR or something that makes sense just replace it...

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 11/18/2009 at 3:08 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, This particular model does not allow you to apply a scanner to read trouble codes. the Haynes manual idicates installing the Diagnostic fuse in the fuse block and reading the code presented by watching the flashes of the check engine light. I did this, but the check engine light did not flash it stayed constant on. I orderd a set of spark plug wires and will install this afternoon. I will see if this helps.

Man you did the code read by grounding the two terminals and it did not flash?

You put a jumper wire between two terminals of the diagnose connector and (turn the key on) right?

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 11/18/2009 at 5:19 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is correct. I did all this and it did not flash.

Hmmm, yes unfortunately its a limited function (old school) system... Ok we will try plug wires and go from there if the vehicles is at idle and you gently rev the accelerator by hand it will shudder a little which indicates bad secondary ignition IE plug wires.

Honestly I would replace the OXUGEN SEnsor if its never been replaced, its considered maint. and they only last like 60k miles. Maybe also remove the spark plugs and verify the (gap) is ok just in case one was dropped and it was flattened a little.

Edited by Terry S. Trent on 11/18/2009 at 5:43 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just got my new spark plug cables installed. This did not help.------

To give you a little more info, I just bought this vehicle and am trying to fix it up. It seems in decent shape considering the age. It does have the exhaust hanging loose form it just behind the catylatic converter. Do you suppose this is affecting some needed back pressure to allow the emissions system to work properly? This is just athought I have had. I am getting the exhasut fixed tommorrow.

Yes exhaust back pressure is critcal in relation to some sensors working properly etc.

At least you understand trying to answer questions without physicaly touching the vehicle is difficult at best due to so many unkowns. We basicly replaced components that are considered maint. anyway and def wont hurt the perfomance.

Also ask the shop if they can attempt to read the codes for you...