Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette: shop manual..disconnected..steering column

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette. I am having trouble removing the steering coupling (part of getting to the transmission sidecover per the shop manual instructions). I have it disconnected from the steering column. At the steering rack I have not been able to get the boot/seal completely pushed up and out of the way. I did get it moved enough to get to the pinch bolt and completely loosen it. However, I can't get the bolt out (because the seal is still down around it) and I can't get the coupling off of the shaft.

I wondered if there were any tips for getting the lower part of the coupling removed from the shaft? With it loosed at the rack should I be able to pull on the coupling from inside the car and get out? Should I be able to push the rubber boot/seal far enough inside the van to easily get to the pinch bolt/coupling?

hello, once pich bolt is out, it can betricky sliding the coupling off the rack shaft. We use a long prybar and while turning the steering slightly in both directions, pry up on the coupling at a couple spots till it slides off. the problem is it wnats to cock to one side and makes it hard to slide off. Another trcik it to begin loosening the sub frame bolts. If you loosen one at a time slowly, say about 1 inch, the frame and rack will drop down enough to help get coupler off. the frame bolts are long so you can drop frame with no harm about 1 inch. You may want to pull one out first to see how much you ahve to work with. the frame will be ok with one bolt loosened or removed

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks - that helps. I just wondered if I could get clarification on one part of your answer - the last line "the frame will be ok with one bolt loosened or removed."

By that did you mean that if I have the top pinch bolt removed and the coupling disconnected from the steering shaft that it should be OK to lower the left side of the frame (to get to the trans sidecover)? Or do I need to get the coupling off of the rack shaft?

I guess what I was trying to say is you can remove one frma bolt to see how long it is to get idea how far you can loosen all the bolts to drop the fram some. I know how long they are but you do not. We use this trick all the time to begin loosening the frame bolts, especially the rear onse to lower the frame. As you lower the frame, it will be easier for the coupole to slide off. yes, the pinch bolt needs to be out. The frame supports the rack so when it begins to drop, the rack lowers and it is easier to get the coupler off all the way. You can loosen whatever fram bolts help. I think there are 4 of them. Maybe the 2 left side ones, or 2 rear ones. Just do not go removing all of them or you will wear the engine :( just loosen them so frame drops say an inch or so. It will help you greatly
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand. Thanks - very helpful! If I can figure out how to leave positive feedback I will.
you are welcome